- Philippians 4:11(b)-13 -

. . . for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I
know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have
learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well
fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything
through him who gives me strength.

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything, but they
make the best of everything.
- John Maxwell

<<>><<>><<>>
August 12th - St. Euplius

On August 12, 304 A.D., during the persecution of Diocletian at Catania, in
Sicily, a deacon named Euplius was brought to the governor's hall and
staunchly professed his faith. With the Book of Gospels in his hand, he was
called before the governor Calvisian and commanded to read from it. The
saint read the passage: "Blest are they who suffer persecution for justice's
sake, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven." Euplius then read the passage:
"If anyone will come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross
and follow me." Questioned by the governor as to what this meant, the youth
replied: "It is the law of my Lord, which has been delivered to me."
Calvisian asked: "By whom?" Euplius replied: "By Jesus Christ, the Son of
the Living God." With that, the governor ordered that he be led away to be
tortured. At the height of his torment Euplius was asked if he still
persisted in Christianity. The saintly youth answered: "What I said before,
I say again: I am a Christian and I read the Sacred Scriptures." The
governor realized that he would never give up his faith, and ordered him to
be beheaded. St. Euplius died April 29, 304 A.D., praising God all the
while.

Reflection:

Sufferings were to the martyrs the most distinguishing mercy, extraordinary
graces, and sources of the greatest crowns and glory. All afflictions which
God sends are in like manner the greatest mercies and blessings; they are
the most precious talents, to be improved by us to the increasing of our
love and affection to God, and the exercise of the most heroic virtues of
self-denial, patience, humility, resignation, and penance. They are also
most useful and necessary to bring us to the knowledge of ourselves and our
Creator, which we are too apt to forget without them. Wherefore, whatever
crosses or calamities befall us, we must be prepared to bear them with a
patient resignation to the Divine Will, we ought to learn from the martyrs
to comfort ourselves, and to rejoice in them, as the greatest blessings.
How base is our cowardice, and how criminal our folly, if, by neglecting to
improve these advantageous talents of sickness, losses, and other
afflictions we make the most precious mercies our heaviest curse!

Saint Quote:
"In the Gospel we see that merely because the rich man rejoiced in having
stored up goods for many years, God was so angered He told him he must give
an account of his soul that very night. We should believe, therefore, that
as often as we rejoice vainly, God is watching and planning some
chastisement and bitter drink according to our merits; for at times the
sadness redounding from the joy is a hundred times greater than the joy.

"What Saint John says of Babylon in the Apocalypse is true, that she would
receive torment in the measure in which she rejoiced and lived in delights.
Yet the text does not mean that the sadness will not be greater than the
joy. It shall be greater, since eternal torments are inflicted for brief
pleasures. But it indicates that no fault will escape a particular
punishment. For He Who will punish the idle word will not pardon vain joy."
-St. John of the Cross (Doctor, 1542-91) - "Ascent of Mount Carmel"

Bible Quotes:
"The land of a certain rich man brought forth plenty of fruits. And he
thought within himself, saying: What shall I do, because I have no room
where to bestow my fruits? And he said: This will I do: I will pull down my
barns and will build greater: and into them will I gather all things that
are grown to me, and my goods. And I will say to my soul: Soul, thou hast
much goods laid up for many years, take thy rest: eat, drink, make good
cheer. But God said to him: Thou fool, this night do they require thy soul
of thee: and whose shall those things be which thou hast provided? - (Luke
12:16-20)

Apocalypse 18 7 - "As much as she hath glorified herself, and lived in
delicacies, so much torment and sorrow give ye to her ... But I say unto
you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall render an account
for it in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and
by thy words thou shalt be condemned." - (Matthew 12:36)

<><><><>
Canticle 1 Chronicles 29
To God alone be honour and glory
Blessed are you, Lord, God of our father Israel, through all the ages.
All power and greatness are yours, O God; glory, splendour, and majesty.
All things are yours, in the heavens and on the earth; you rule over them,
Lord, you are high above them all.
All riches and glory come from you, you rule over all things.

In your hand lie strength and power, your hand raises all things and sets
them firm.
So now, our God, we give you thanks, and praise your glorious name.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,
world without end.
Amen.

.

Quantcast