DN Exemplary Living 5/2/2006

DRAWING NEAR

MAY 2

Exemplary Living

"Having summoned His twelve disciples" (Matt. 10:1).

Matthew 10:1 is Christ's official commissioning of the twelve men He
hand-picked to serve beside Him during His earthly ministry. Mark
3:13 says He "summoned those whom He Himself wanted, and they came to
Him." In John 15:16 He tells them, "You did not choose Me, but I
chose you, and appointed you, that you should go and bear fruit."
This is not their call to salvation, but to service. With the
exception of Judas, they were already saved. Before the foundation of
the world God chose them to be redeemed in Christ, and they had
responded accordingly. Now Jesus was calling them to a specific
ministry.

God always chooses those who will be saved and serve within His
church. But between salvation and service there must be a time of
training. For the disciples it was a period of three years in which
Jesus Himself trained them as they experienced life together from day
to day. That's the best form of discipleship. Classrooms and lectures
are helpful, but there's no substitute for having a living pattern to
follow--someone who models Christian virtue and shows you how to
apply biblical principles to your life.

Paul understood the importance of such an example. In Philippians 4:9
he says, "The things you have learned and received and heard and seen
in me, practice these things." He said to Timothy, "Let no one look
down on your youthfulness, but rather in speech, conduct, love, faith
and purity, show yourself an example of those who believe" (1 Tim.
4:12). Peter followed suit, admonishing the church elders not to lord
their authority over those in their charge, but to be godly examples
(1 Pet. 5:3).

Whether you've been a Christian for many years or just a short time,
you are an example to someone. People hear what you say and observe
how you live. They look for a glimpse of Christ in your life. What do
they see? How would they do spiritually if they followed your example
perfectly?

Suggestions for Prayer:

Thank the Lord for those who are examples of godliness to you.

For Further Study:

What do these verses indicate about your salvation: John 15:16,
Romans 8:28, Ephesians 1:4, and 2 Thessalonians 2:13? According
to Ephesians 2:10, why were you saved?

Drawing Near, Copyright 1993 John F. MacArthur, Jr.

All rights reserved. Used by permission.
http://www.gty.org

~~~

1 Peter 5:3 (NKJV)
3 nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples
to the flock

John 15:16
16 "You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that
you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that
whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you.

Romans 8:28
28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who
love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Ephesians 1:4
4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love

2 Thessalonians 2:13
13 But we are bound to give thanks to God always for you, brethren
beloved by the Lord, because God from the beginning chose you for
salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the
truth

Ephesians 2:10
10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good
works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

~~~

These devotions are posted with permission from John MacArthur's
first (1993) devotional work, _Drawing Near_, and they are also sent
out daily for free to several folks via e-mail.

In addition, John's second (1997) devotional, _Strength for Today_,
is also available free via e-mail only. _Strength for Today_ follows
the same format as what you have seen here from _Drawing Near_, but
with different monthly themes.

If you would like to receive daily devotions via e-mail from either
of these series, just let me know (via e-mail), and I will gladly add
you to the list(s) of your choice.

You can hear John MacArthur daily via the Internet by visiting:

http://www2.oneplace.com/Ministries/Grace_to_You/

and

http://www.gty.org.uk/

You may email John MacArthur in care of Grace to You at:
letters@xxxxxxx

NOTE for those of you reading via newsgroups: If you wish to reach
me, please contact me via e-mail for quickest results.

In Christ,

Peter

Peter G. Chase :: Columbus, Ohio, USA
pchase1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

STOP! Who do you think Jesus is?
http://www.gty.org/Gospel

http://www.gty.org/
http://www.nwbible.org/

To forgive is to set a prisoner free, and to discover that the prisoner was you. -Alistair Begg
.