June 15th – St. Bardo of Mainz,

June 15th – St. Bardo of Mainz, OSB B (AC)

Born at Oppershofen, Germany, in 982; died in Mainz, in 1053; feast day formerly June 10. A helmet, a lamb, and a Psalter were gifts presented to Bardo as a child, and these symbolized courage, gentleness, and piety, each of which marked his later career. He was a German of good birth, and received his first schooling from an old woman who taught him his letters and to read the Psalms as he sat in her lap. Years later he still remembered what he owed to her and made good provision for her care.

The balance of his education came at Fulda, where he also received the Benedictine habit and became the dean. Upon his ordination as a priest in 1029, Bardo was appointed an abbot at Werden am Ruhr because of his family connection with the empress. One day, when he was at court, the archbishop of Mainz, seeing in his hand his richly wrought abbot's staff, remarked: "Abbot, I think that staff would become my hand better than yours," to which Bardo replied: "If you think so, it will not be hard for you to get it."

On returning to his quarters, he called one of his attendants and, giving him the staff and other insignia of his office, told him to take them as a gift to the archbishop. When the attendant returned, Bardo asked him how the archbishop had received them, "Middling well," was the answer. "Only middling well?" said the abbot, "Heaven knows, perhaps before long they will be mine again."

And sure enough, before long his words came true: he was restored to his abbey. In 1031, Bardo was appointed abbot of Hersfeld and was also appointed to succeed the archbishop of Mainz.

He made, however, an unfortunate beginning. When preaching before the emperor one Christmas morning, through sickness or nervousness he made a very poor impression. "What a man for an archbishop!" said those who heard him. "He is a stick. He cannot preach. Why did your Majesty appoint such a boorish monk?" And the emperor himself felt that he had made a mistake in appointing an ignorant monk to the most important diocese in Germany.

Bardo was due to preach again before the emperor a few days later, and his friends advised him not to, but he replied: "To every man his own burden," and faced the ordeal. This time he preached with such ease and power and created so admirable an impression that the emperor was delighted, and said as he sat down to dinner: "The archbishop has restored my appetite."

For a time Bardo was chancellor and grand almoner of the empire, yet to the end Bardo preserved the simple habits of a monk. He practiced austerities so severe that Pope Saint Leo IX advised him to relax them. He was noted for his love of the poor, the destitute, and animals. He was also a lover of birds, many rare specimens of which he collected and tamed, and taught to feed from his own plate. Bardo was diligent in his diocese and, as a prelate, a true father in God. He completed the building of his great cathedral in honor of Saint Martin. He had a great sense of justice, and protected many from the harsh treatment or wrong conviction; and, hating drunkenness and other gross habits, he advocated, especially to young people, the virtues of self-discipline and temperance (Benedictines, Encyclopedia, Gill).

Saint Quote :
Prayer is to our soul what rain is to the soil. Fertilize the soil ever so richly, it will remain barren unless fed by frequent rains.
--St. John Vianney

Bible Quote
He humbled himself, becoming obedient unto death, even to the death of the cross. 9 For which cause God also hath exalted him, and hath given him a name which is above all names: 10 That in the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those that are in heaven, on earth, and under the earth: (Philippians 2:8-10)

<><><><>
Prayer for Pardon and Grace

O DIVINE REDEEMER!
humbly prostrate at the foot of Thy Cross,
I call upon Thee to incline Thy Sacred Heart to pardon me.
Jesus, misjudged and despised--have mercy on me!
Jesus, calumniated and persecuted--have mercy on me!
Jesus, abandoned by men and tempted in the desert--have mercy on me!
Jesus, betrayed and sold--have mercy on me!
Jesus, insulted, accused, and unjustly condemned--have mercy on me!
Jesus, clothed in a robe of ignominy and contempt--have mercy on me!
Jesus, mocked and scoffed at--have mercy on me!
Jesus, bound with cords and led through the streets--have mercy on me!
Jesus, treated as a fool and classed with malefactors--have mercy on me!
Jesus, cruelly scourged--have mercy on me!
Jesus, held inferior to Barabbas--have mercy on me!
Jesus, despoiled of Thy garments--have mercy on me!
Jesus, crowned with thorns and reviled--have mercy on me!
Jesus, bearing the Cross amid the maledictions of the people--have mercy on me!
Jesus, bowed down by ignominies, pain, and humiliations--have mercy on me!
Jesus, crucified between thieves--have mercy on me!
Jesus, dying for my sins amid all kinds of suffering--have mercy on me!

LET US PRAY
SACRED HEART of Jesus, my Redeemer! Exercise, I beseech Thee, Thy office of mediator with me, and permit not that Thy sufferings and cruel death be in vain for my salvation, but let them bring forth, for Thy glory, fruits of salvation in me, that my heart may love, praise, and glorify Thee for ever and ever. Amen.

.

Quantcast