June 8th – Bl. Pacifico of Cerano

Born at Novara in Piedmont in the year 1424. His parents died when he was very young, and he was educated in the Benedictine abbey of his native city. He then took the habit in the Franciscan convent of the strict observance, being about twenty-one years of age, and he became one of the most learned ecclesiastics of his time. After his ordination he laboured chiefly as a preacher in Italy, conducting many successful missions between the years 1452 and 1471. His evangelistic work was interrupted by a visit to Sardinia, where he went with a commission from Pope Sixtus IV to redress certain disorders and irregularities that had crept into the church. He was induced to write a treatise on moral theology, which was published in Milan in 1475 and was long regarded as the standard work on that subject, though aiming at simple explanations, intelligible to all. He entitled it Sometta di Pacifica Coscienza, but it was commonly known as Somma Pacifica. He resumed his mission work, labouring chiefly in the north of Italy and using as his headquarters the convent of Vigevano which he had founded in the diocese of Novara..

In 1480 came another summons to go to Sardinia, this time as visitor and commissary general for the convents of the strict observance, and also as apostolic nuncio charged by Pope Sixtus IV to proclaim a crusade against Mohammed II. The order arrived when he was preaching at Cerano. He knew that he had not long to live, and in his farewell address he said: “I ask you to do me this favour-- that when you hear of my death, you will have my poor wretched remains brought back to my native land, so that I may be buried in this dear church which I have built in honour of the Blessed Virgin.” He went to Sardinia, but had scarcely begun to preach the crusade when he was taken ill. He died at Sassari on June 4, 1482. In compliance with his request his body was taken back to Cerano, where a church was afterwards built in his honour. The cult of Bl. Pacifico was confirmed in 1745.

An account of Bl. Pacifico is furnished in an appendix to the June volume i of the Acta Sanctorum. He is also prominent in Wadding’s Scnptores, and in the Annales Ordinis Minorum, vol. xiv. See further, the Miscellanea Franciscana, vols. iii and vii, and Leon’s Auréole Séraphique (Eng. trans..), vol. ii, pp. 352-355. Small separate lives have been published by M. Cazzola and by another writer, who remains anonymous.

Reflection. The Church takes delight in styling her founder “Jesus most amiable", and He indeed says of Himself, “I am meek and humble of heart.” His true followers can all be characterized in the same way.

Saint Quote:
Every time we come into the presence of the Eucharist we may say: This precious Testament cost Jesus Christ His life. For the Eucharist is a testament, a legacy which becomes valid only at the death of the testator. Our Lord thereby shows us His boundless love, for He Himself said there is no greater proof of love than to lay down one's life for one's friends.
-- Saint Peter Julian Eymard

<><><><>
The Te Deum is an Ambrosian Hymn attributed to Nicetus, Bishop of
Remesiana, in the 4th century.

O God, we praise Thee, and acknowledge Thee to be the supreme Lord.
Everlasting Father, all the earth worships Thee.
All the Angels, the heavens and all angelic powers,
All the Cherubim and Seraphim, continuously cry to Thee:
Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God of Hosts!
Heaven and earth are full of the Majesty of Thy glory.
The glorious choir of the Apostles,
The wonderful company of Prophets,
The white-robed army of Martyrs praise Thee.
Holy Church throughout the world acknowledges Thee:
The Father of infinite Majesty;
Thy adorable, true and only Son;
Also the Holy Spirit, the Comforter.
O Christ, Thou art the King of glory!
Thou art the everlasting Son of the Father.
When Thou tookest it upon Thyself to deliver man,
Thou didst not disdain the Virgin's womb.
Having overcome the sting of death,
Thou opened the Kingdom of Heaven to all believers.
Thou sitest at the right hand of God in the glory of the Father.
We believe that Thou willst come to be our Judge.
We, therefore, beg Thee to help Thy servants whom Thou hast redeemed with
Thy Precious Blood.
Let them be numbered with Thy Saints in everlasting glory.

V. Save Thy people, O Lord, and bless Thy inheritance!
R. Govern them, and raise them up forever.
V. Every day we thank Thee.
R. And we praise Thy Name forever, yes, forever and ever.
V. O Lord, deign to keep us from sin this day.
R. Have mercy on us, O Lord, have mercy on us.
V. Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, for we have hoped in Thee.
R. O Lord, in Thee I have put my trust; let me never be put to shame.

Imprimatur: +Francis Spellman, Archbishop of New York, May 30, 1951.
.