On the Proof of a True Lover: (I)

CHRIST. My son, you are not yet a brave and wise lover.
THE DISCIPLE. Why, Lord?
CHRIST. Because as soon as you encounter a little trouble, you abandon
what you have begun, and eagerly seek for comfort. A brave lover
stands firm in temptation, and pays no heed to the crafty arguments of
the Devil. He is as true to Me in trouble as in prosperity.(Phil.4:12)
--Thomas à Kempis --Imitation of Christ Bk 3, Ch 6

<<>><<>><<>>
December 26th - St. Dionysius
259 - 268 AD

The storm of persecution which had slain St. Sixtus and St. Lawrence
blew throughout Rome with such violence that for some time the
Christians could not elect a new pope. But by July of 259 Emperor
Valerian was too busy worrying about Persians to pay much attention to
Christians. On July 22, 259, the priest Dionysius was elected pope.

St. Dionysius was to have a peaceful pontificate. In 260 Valerian was
defeated by Sapor the Persian. He was made prisoner and then skinned.
His son and successor, Gallienus, though an incapable ruler, was well-
disposed to the Christians. Salonina, his wife, may well have been a
Christian herself. Gallienus issued a decree of toleration which not
only gave the Christians a breathing spell but even restored
confiscated Church property. It is interesting to note that the decree
dealt directly with the heads of the churches.

While there was peace at Rome, there was trouble in the East. The
Persians had ravaged Cappadocia, and the Christians had shared in the
general agony. Pope Dionysius sent the sufferers a letter of
consolation and a large sum of money to redeem such of the faithful as
had been captured and enslaved.

The Pope was on guard to defend the purity of Christian doctrine. His
namesake, Dionysius, bishop of Alexandria, had gone astray in his
speculations on the Trinity. The Pope, alarmed, held a synod at Rome,
then sent a letter condemning the doctrinal vagaries of the good
Alexandrian. This letter is important for its dogmatic content. It is
a prelude to Nicaea. In it the Pope defends the true doctrine of the
Three Persons in one divine nature. Dionysius of Alexandria was less
than exact in his phraseology, but he was no heretic. The good old man
died at peace with the Church.

A real heretic, however, was troubling the Church in Asia at this
time. Paul of Samosata, who incongruously combined the offices of
bishop of Antioch and treasurer of the civil government, taught that
Jesus was not true God. To meet this threat, the Asiatic bishops held
a council at Antioch in 264 and condemned Paul's teaching. This
council sent a circular letter addressed to Dionysius and Maximus,
bishop of Alexandria, to inform the Christian world of its doings.

Pope Dionysius also seems to have done some organizing of new parishes
around Rome.

Dionysius died in December 268 and was buried in the Cemetery of
Calixtus. His feast is kept on December 26.

Saint Quote:
What will you do if your product still further increases next year?
You should then destroy again the warehouses which you are now
preparing to build, and build bigger. For the reason why God has given
you fruitful harvests is that He might either overcome your avarice or
condemn it; wherefore you can have no excuse. But you keep for
yourself what He wished to be produced through you for the benefit of
many --nay, rather, you rob even yourself of it, since you would
better preserve it for yourself if you distributed it to others.
--St. Ambrose of Milan

Bible Quote:
No one has ever seen God. If we love one another, God abides in us and
His love is perfected in us. (1 John 4-12)

<><><><>
Daily Thoughts and Prayers for Our Beloved Dead

"Have pity on me, have pity on me, at least you my friends, because
the hand of the Lord hath touched me" Job. 19-21.

FIFTEENTH DAY

Death cannot destroy the affection your loved ones bore for you in
life, but that affection is now sweeter, purer, more constant. United
with God in Heaven, or offering atonement to Him in Purgatory, they
love us with a deeper, everlasting love.

Prayers: Our Father, Three Hail Marys, Gloria, De Profundis.

De Profundis

Out of the depths, I have cried to Thee,
O Lord, Lord, hear my voice.
Let Thine ears be attentive to the
voice of my supplication.
If Thou, O Lord, shalt mark my iniquities,
O Lord, who shall stand it?
For with Thee there is merciful
forgiveness: and by reason of Thy
law I have waited for Thee, O Lord.
My soul hath relied on His word;
my soul hath hoped in the Lord.
From the morning watch even until
night; let Israel hope in the Lord.
Because with the Lord there is mercy;
And with Him plenteous redemption.
And He shall redeem Israel from
all its iniquities.
Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord,
And let perpetual light shine upon them:
May they rest in peace. Amen.

O Lord Jesus, deign to harken to the voice of the Souls in Purgatory.
Grant them remission of their sins because of the love they bore Thee,
and bring them with Thee to Heaven, that they may forever praise Thee.

See whole prayer at:
http://www.dailycatholic.org/deprofun.htm
.