I came in humility

I came in humility, I came to teach humility, I came as a model of
humility.
Whoever comes to me is incorporated in me.

Whoever comes to me becomes humble; whoever adheres to my will will be
humble,
for such a person does not perform his or her own will, but the will
of God. And
therefore he or she will not be cast out.
St. Augustine -- Sermon on John 25, 16

<<>><<>><<>>
October 22nd - St. Donatus (Donagh) of Fiesole B (RM)

Born in Ireland; died 874-876. Legend has it that Donatus was an
Irishman who decided to go on a pilgrimage to Rome with his friend
Andrew. On his return home about 829, he went to Florence, Italy, and
visited nearby Fiesole. Donatus, who was small and unaggressive by
nature, slipped into the cathedral just when the people had come
together to pray for enlightenment before electing a new bishop.
The moment Donatus entered the cathedral of Fiesole, the bells began
ringing. All the cathedral lamps and candles lit of their own accord,
without any human help. The Christians present could only conclude
that this was a divine sign, indicating that the stranger who had just
come in was destined to be their next bishop. Unanimously the puzzled
Irishman was elected, and Andrew became his deacon.

Fortunately, Donatus was a man of exemplary piety and cultivation. In
addition to many other works, Donatus authored two separate lives of
Saint Brigid of Kildare, one in prose and the other in verse. He also
wrote his own epitaph, which still survives and describes him as a
splendid teacher, specializing in grammar and fine writing. The
epitaph adds that the bishop loyally advised and served the Frankish
King Lothaire and the Emperor Louis. Almost certainly he taught them
and members of their household for he was ever willing to instruct the
young.

For 47 years Donatus shepherded the church of Fiesole. At times he
served as a military leader, raising armies and conducting expeditions
against the Saracens. Before he died he obtained from the king a
charter of independence for the bishops of Fiesole with the power to
impose taxes and administer their own laws.

He was also a generous supporter of monastic foundations. In 852, he
founded a church and a hospice of his beloved patron, Saint Brigid at
Piacenza and placed it under the protection of Saint Columban's
monastery at Bobbio. This church was declared a national monument in
1911.

Long after his death, a legend developed that Donatus had an Irish
traveling companion who became his archdeacon, St. Andrew of Fiesole,
but there is no satisfactory evidence for Andrew's existence
(Attwater, Bentley, Delaney, Montague).

In art he is a bishop with an Irish wolfhound at his feet. Sometimes
he is shown pointing out a church to his deacon, St. Andrew of Ireland
(August 22) (Roeder).

From:
http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/1022.shtml

Saint Quote:
Chastity is the lily among virtues and makes men almost equal to
angels.
--St. Francis de Sales

Bible Quote:
Therefore, brethren, stand fast; and hold the traditions which you
have learned, whether by word, or by our epistle. (2 Thessalonians
2:14)

<><><><>
"KISSED BY AN ANGEL"

An angel kissed me
With the wind
Blowing away
Evil built in

An angel kissed me
With the rain
Washing away
Life's hurt and pain

An angel kissed me
With the snow
Delivering God's
Word to and fro

~By Monique Nicole Fox~

  • - Philippians 3:20 -
    ... Christians are not citizens of earth trying to get to heaven, ... Legend has it that Donatus was an Irishman ... bishop. ... The moment Donatus entered the cathedral of Fiesole, ...
    (alt.religion.christian)
  • I came in humility
    ... Whoever comes to me is incorporated in me. ... Donatus, who was small and unaggressive by ... together to pray for enlightenment before electing a new bishop. ... The moment Donatus entered the cathedral of Fiesole, ...
    (alt.religion.christian.roman-catholic)
  • October 22nd - St. Donatus (Donagh) of Fiesole B (RM)
    ... Legend has it that Donatus was an Irishman ... bishop. ... The moment Donatus entered the cathedral of Fiesole, ... Unanimously the puzzled Irishman was elected, and Andrew became his ...
    (alt.religion.christian.roman-catholic)
  • October 22nd - St. Donatus of Fiesole
    ... Legend has it that Donatus was an Irishman ... who decided to go on a pilgrimage to Rome with his friend Andrew. ... destined to be their next bishop. ... Thy delicate flesh fainted, and the moisture of Thy members ...
    (alt.religion.christian.roman-catholic)