Carrying our own cross:

In the gospel Christ commands us all to take up our cross. He does
not tell us
to take up another's, but bids us to carry our own. He does not wish a
nun to
neglect her duties as a religious and burden herself with the cares of
a married
woman; nor does it please him for a married woman to neglect her
household
duties and turn into a nun. The married man pleases God by being a
good husband;
the friar by being a good religious; the merchant by running his
business
properly. Even the soldier serves God by showing courage when
circumstances
demand it, and by being content with his pay, as Saint John says. And
the cross
which each of us has to bear, and by means of which we are to attain
union with
Christ, is the very duty and obligation imposed on each one of us by
our state
of life. Those who fulfill the duties of their condition do God's will
and
accomplish his purpose. They win an unblemished name and reputation
and, as
though by the labor of the cross, reach the rest they have merited. On
the other
hand, those who neglect their obligations, however hard they may labor
fulfill others which they have taken upon themselves, waste their
efforts and
forfeit their reward.
--Luis de León, O.S.A.

<<>><<>><<>>
July 1st - Saint Gal, Bishop of Clermont
(died 553)

Saint Gal was born at Clermont in Auvergne, about the year 489. His
father was
of the first families of that province, and his mother a descendant of
the
celebrated Roman martyr Vettius Apagatus, who suffered at Lyons for
the faith of
Christ. They both took special care of the education of their son, and
when he
reached a suitable age proposed to have him marry the daughter of a
senator. The
Saint, who had taken a resolution to consecrate himself to God, left
his
father's house and went to the monastery of Cournon near the city of
Clermont.
He earnestly prayed to be admitted there among the monks, and having
soon
afterwards obtained the consent of his parents, with joy he renounced
all
worldly vanities to embrace religious poverty.

His virtues distinguished him and recommended him to Quintianus,
bishop of
Clermont, who taught him theology and was his spiritual director; he
then
promoted him to Holy Orders. When the bishop died in 527, Saint Gal
was
appointed to succeed him. In this new character his humility, charity,
zeal, and
above all his patience in bearing injuries, were conspicuous. Once
when struck
on the head by a brutal man, Saint Gal did not reveal the slightest
emotion of
anger or resentment, and by this meekness disarmed his attacker's
rage.

Saint Gal participated in the important Council of Clermont in 535;
six years
later he took part in the Fourth Council of Orleans. He died in the
year 553
after an illness which, by the sufferings it occasioned him,
manifested once
more his remarkable patience. After singing the Psalm Miserere, and
another in
thanksgiving, he gave up his holy soul to God. Many miracles occurred
at his
tomb; he is invoked especially against fevers.

Sources: Little Pictorial Lives of the Saints, a compilation based on
Butler's
Lives of the Saints, and other sources by John Gilmary Shea (Benziger
Brothers:
New York, 1894); Les Petits Bollandistes: Vies des Saints, by Msgr.
Paul Guérin
(Bloud et Barral: Paris, 1882), Vol. 7.

Saint Quote:
We must put aside all judgment of our own, and keep the mind ever
ready and
prompt to obey in all things the true Spouse of Christ our Lord, our
holy
Mother, the hierarchical Church.
--Saint Ignatius of Loyola

Bible Quote:
He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and
forsaketh
them shall have mercy. (Proverbs 28:13)

<><><><>
In honor of the Most Precious Blood for the month of July, the Seven
Offerings
of the Most Precious Blood:

I. Eternal Father! I offer Thee the merits of the Precious Blood of
Jesus, Thy
well-beloved Son, my Savior and my God, for my dear Mother, the holy
Church,
that she may enlarge her borders and be magnified among all the
nations of the
earth; for the safety and well-being of her visible head, the
sovereign Roman
Pontiff; for the cardinals, bishops, and pastors of souls, and for all
the
ministers of Thy sanctuary.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, as It
was in the
beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Blessing and thanksgiving be evermore to Jesus, Who with His Blood
hath saved
us!

II. Eternal Father! I offer Thee the merits of the Precious Blood of
Jesus, Thy
well-beloved Son, my Savior and my God, for peace and union among all
Catholic
kings and princes, for the humiliation of the enemies of our holy
Faith, and for
the welfare of all Christian people.

Glory be... Blessing and thanksgiving...

III. Eternal Father! I offer Thee the merits of the Precious Blood of
Jesus,
Thy well-beloved Son, my Savior and my God, for the repentance of
unbelievers,
for the uprooting of heresy, and for the conversion of sinners.

Glory be... Blessing and thanksgiving...

IV. Eternal Father! I offer Thee the merits of the Precious Blood of
Jesus, Thy
well-beloved Son, my Savior and my God, for all my kindred, friends,
and
enemies; for the poor, the sick, and wretched, and for all for whom
Thou, my
God, knowest that I ought to pray, or wouldst have me pray.

Glory be... Blessing and thanksgiving...

V. Eternal Father! I offer Thee the merits of the Precious Blood of
Jesus, Thy
well-beloved Son, my Savior and my God, for all who, this day, are
passing to
the other life; that Thou wouldst save them from the pains of hell,
and admit
them quickly to the possession of Thy glory.

Glory be... Blessing and thanksgiving...

VI. Eternal Father! I offer Thee the merits of the Precious Blood of
Jesus, Thy
well-beloved Son, my Savior and my God, for all those who love this
great
treasure, for those who join with me in adoring it and honoring it,
and who
strive to spread devotion to it.

Glory be... Blessing and thanksgiving...

VII. Eternal Father! I offer Thee the merits of the Precious Blood of
Jesus,
Thy well-beloved Son, my Savior and my God, for all my wants,
spiritual and
temporal, in aid of the holy souls in purgatory, and chiefly for those
who most
loved this precious Blood, the price of our redemption, and who were
most devout
to the sorrows and pains of most holy Mary, our dear Mother.

Glory be... Blessing and thanksgiving...

(Conclude with) Glory be to the Blood of Jesus; now and forever, and
throughout
all ages! Amen.

Imprimatur: +John Farley, Archbishop of New York, Sept 19, 1908.
.