April 6th - St. Prudentius Galindo B (AC)

April 6th - St. Prudentius Galindo B (AC)
(Also known as Prudentius of Troyes)

Born in Spain; died in Troyes, France, April 6, 861. In the days of the
Franks, there came from Spain to the court of France a young and gifted
lawyer named Prudentius, baptized Galindo, who was a patriotic citizen of
the Roman Empire. He had come to Gaul fleeing the persecutions of the
Saracens and studied at the Palatine school, where he changed his name to
Prudentius. He had distinguished gifts and rose to high office. In the
course of time he held, we are told, "the reins of power over famous
cities." In later middle life, however, he turned from his public offices to
the Church and devoted himself and his talents to the service of God.

He now came to regard the empire that he had served so well as an instrument
in God's hands for the advancement of Christianity, and he lived to see the
tide turn against Julian the Apostate, who had been "faithful to Rome, but
faithless to God." *(This was actually quoted by Aurelius Clemens Prudentius
born 348 - died ca. 413. A little mixup here.)

He was appointed chaplain to the Frankish court and, in 840 or 845, was
elected bishop of Troyes, thus becoming a leading member of the episcopate.

Prudentius was appointed by Bishop Hincmar of Rheims to judge the case of a
monk named Gottschalk, whom Hincmar had tortured, imprisoned, and
excommunicated for teaching that God would save only the elect and condemn
most of humanity. Prudentius defended the theory of double predestination
and that Christ died only for those who are saved-a theory that set off a
widespread dispute.

Known for his learning and as a theologian, Prudentius was also a poet, and
one of his poems reflects his experience:

Now then, at last, close on the very end of life, May yet my sinful soul put
off her foolishness; And if by deeds it cannot, yet, at least, by words give
praise to God, Join day to day by constant praise, Fail not each night in
songs to celebrate the Lord, Fight against heresies, maintain the catholic
faith. He became widely known by his writings, including a history of the
Western franks called "Annals of Saint Bertin", an extant treatise against
John Scotus "Erigena De praedistinatione contra Johannem Scotem" (851), and
a defense of his own theory in "Epistola tractoria ad Wenilonem" (856).
Prudentius was the best author of his day-"the prince of Christian poets,"
and "the Homer and the Virgil of the Christians." Today he is chiefly
remembered for his fine hymn, Of the Father's love begotten, Ere the worlds
began to be. The feast of Prudentius is still kept at Troyes (Benedictines,
Delaney, Encyclopedia, Gill).

From:
http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/0406.shtml

Saint Quote:
When we have to reply to anyone who has insulted us, we should be careful to
do it always with gentleness. A soft answer extinguishes the fire of wrath.
-St. Alphonsus Liguori

Bible Quote:
Now when it was late that same day, the first of the week, and the doors
were shut, where the disciples were gathered together, for fear of the Jews,
Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them: Peace be to you. 20 And
when he had said this, he shewed them his hands and his side. The disciples
therefore were glad, when they saw the Lord. (John 20:19-20)

<><><><>
Christ King of Glory (Christus Vincit)

Christ Lord of glory, Christ Prince of nations, Christ our King of kings!
Christ Jesus, hear us.
Perpetual safety and welfare to the Church of God.

Redeemer, Savior. Assist and strengthen her.
O Mary blessed Mother; Assist and strengthen her.
Joseph holy guardian; Assist and strengthen her.
Blessed Michael patron; Assist and strengthen her.
Blessed Saint Patrick; Assist and strengthen her.

All repeat: Christ Lord of glory, Christ Prince of nations, Christ our King
of kings!

Christ Jesus hear us. Life and health and blessings to Pope John Paul II our
Holy Father. Redeemer Savior, assist and strengthen him.

Blessed Peter, assist and strengthen him. King of kings.

Blessed Paul, assist and strengthen him. Christ our King, Christ our hope.

All repeat: Christ Lord of glory, Christ Prince of nations, Christ our King
of kings!

Jesus our glory, Fountain of grace and all mercy. Source of all our
blessing. Defender in battle, Strong arm of our God invincible. Our
stronghold and our exaltation. Our captain leader who has won our salvation.
Christ Jesus, our life and light eternal. To Him only is victory all praise
and jubilation. Through all the endless ages of eternity. - Amen.

Abundance of good things be ours. The peace of Christ be ours. Redeemed by
the blood of Jesus. Proclaim our joy. May His holy kingdom come. Praise be
to our God - Amen.

In thy conception, O Virgin Mary, thou wast immaculate; pray for us to the
Father, whose Son, Jesus Christ conceived of the Holy Ghost, thou didst
bring forth. - Amen.

From the Lamb of God Prayerbook

  • - Psalm 46:10-11 -
    ... and know that I am God; ... April 6th - St. Prudentius Galindo B ... in God's hands for the advancement of Christianity, and he lived to see the ... Christ Lord of glory, Christ Prince of nations, Christ our King of kings! ...
    (alt.religion.christian)
  • October 15th - St. Thecla of Kitzingen, OSB Abbess
    ... October 15th - St. Thecla of Kitzingen, ... Christianity succeeds best where it reaches both sexes in a double-pronged ... Christ Lord of glory, Christ Prince of nations, Christ our King of kings! ... Christ Jesus, hear us. ...
    (alt.religion.christian.roman-catholic)
  • Re: Scientists that believed in the Bible
    ... question the story of Jesus. ... veracity of the gospel saga, have peeled away the layers of fraud and deceit ... "Christianity is the most ridiculous, the most absurd, and bloody religion ...
    (talk.atheism)
  • The True Message of Jesus Christ
    ... having the most followers on the earth today, Christianity and Islam. ... Christians will better understand the significance of Jesus and the ... It has been documented by many scholars from various ... detailed examination of the earliest manuscripts of the New Testament, ...
    (alt.religion.christian)
  • The True Message of Jesus Christ
    ... having the most followers on the earth today, Christianity and Islam. ... Christians will better understand the significance of Jesus and the ... It has been documented by many scholars from various ... detailed examination of the earliest manuscripts of the New Testament, ...
    (alt.religion.islam)