January 26th - St. Eystein Erlandsson B (RM)

January 26th - St. Eystein Erlandsson B (RM)

Born in Norway; died at Nidaros (Trondheim), Norway, on January 26, 1188.
Saint
Eystein, born of a noble family, was educated at Saint-Victor, Paris. When
he
returned to Norway, he served as chaplain to King Inge of Norway and, in
1157,
was appointed second archbishop of Nidaros (Trondheim). At that time the
metropolitan see had been in existence for only five years. In 1152, the
Norwegian Church had been reorganized into 10 sees (including Iceland,
Greenland, the Orkneys, and the Shetlands) under the archbishopric of
Nidaros by
an English legate of the Holy See, Cardinal Nicholas Breakspeare, who later
became Pope Adrian IV. Eystein's appointment violated the regulations for
canonical appointments established by Breakspeare, but he proved to be the
man
chosen by God for the work.

Upon his appointment as bishop, Eystein went on a pilgrimage to Rome to be
consecrated by Pope Alexander III, who gave him the pallium and made him a
papal
legate a latere. He returned from Rome late in 1161. Eystein labored to
strengthen the ties between the Norwegian Church and Rome, implement the
Gregorian Reform, and to free the Church in Norway from interference by the
nobles. He brought to the Norwegian Church the practices and customs of the
churches of Europe at that time, though celibacy for the clergy was largely
unobserved in his country. Perhaps this is the reason he established
communities
of Augustinian canons regular to set an example for the parochial clergy.

He crowned the eight-year-old child Magnus as king of Norway at Bergen in
1164,
and was closely associated with the boy's father, Jarl Erling Skakke, who
approved Eystein's code of laws. Most of Eystein's activities as they have
come
down to us are matters of the general history of Norway and were directed
towards the free action of the spiritual power among a unified people. This
set
him on a collision course with Magnus's rival for the throne, Sverre.
Eystein
was forced to flee to England in 1181 when Sverre claimed the throne on the
grounds that he was the illegitimate son of King Sigurd and the rightful
heir;
from England Eystein excommunicated Sverre.

In England he stayed at the abbey of Saint Edmundsbury (a.k.a., Bury St.
Edmunds), and it was probably there that he wrote his account of St. Olaf,
The
passion and miracles of the Blessed Olaf, of which a manuscript was
discovered
in England. He helped them to obtain from Henry II the free election of
Abbot
Samson. It is probable, too, that he visited the shrine of St. Thomas of
Canterbury, to whose memory he was very devoted, which later became common
in
the Norwegian Church. (Eystein may have met Saint Thomas during the
Englishman's
exile and saw in him another who struggled to free the Church from secular
control.)

Eystein returned to Norway in 1183 and was aboard a ship in Bergen Harbor
when
Sverre's fleet defeated Magnus, causing the king to flee to Denmark. The
following year Magnus was killed in battle, Sverre became king, and Eystein
made
peace with him. Eystein enlarged Christ Church cathedral, where Saint Olaf
was
buried; some of his improvements remain to this day.

After his death, his body was enshrined in Nidaros cathedral. Immediately
after
his death Eystein was considered a saint, but various papal inquiries were
unfinished. Eystein was proclaimed a saint by a Norwegian synod in 1229.
Many
miracles occurred at his tomb (Attwater, Attwater2, Coulson, Delaney,
Farmer,
Walsh).

Saint Quote:
O God, enlarge within us the sense of fellowship with all living
things, our little brothers to whom Thou hast given this earth as
their home in common with us. May we realize that they live not for us
alone, but for themselves and for Thee, and that they love the
sweetness of life even as we, and serve Thee better in their place
than we in ours."
-St. Basil the Great, 370 A.D.

Bible Quote
But the wise took oil in their vessels with the lamps. And the bridegroom
tarrying, they all slumbered and slept. And at midnight there was a cry
made:
Behold the bridegroom cometh, go ye forth to meet him. (Matt 25:4-6)

<><><><>
I am going to reveal to you the secret of sanctity and happiness. Every day
for
five minutes control your imagination and close your eyes to the things of
sense
and your ears to all the noises of the world, in order to enter into
yourself.

Then in the sanctity of your Baptized soul, [which is the Temple of the
Holy
Spirit] speak to that Divine Spirit, saying to Him:

Oh, Holy Spirit, beloved of my soul. I adore Thee.
Enlighten me, guide me, strengthen me, console me.
Tell me what I should do . . . give me Thy orders.
I promise to submit myself to all that Thou desireth of me
and to accept all that Thou doth permit to happen to me.
Let me only know Thy will.

If you do this, your life will flow along happily, serenely and full of
consolation, even in the midst of trials. Grace will be proportioned to the
trial, giving you the strength to carry it and you will arrive at the gates
of
Paradise, laden with merit.

CARDINAL MERCIER
This submission to the Holy Spirit is the secret of sanctity.

.