August 1st - Saint Agrippina Di Mineo

(Celebrated in Boston in 2008 on August 1-3)

Saint Agrippina Di Mineo was a beautiful blond princess who was unmercifully
tortured to death by the Emperor Valerian in 256 AD. After her death, her body
was taken from Rome to Mineo, Sicily, by three holy women; Bassa, Paula and
Agatonica.

The Greeks also honor her and claim to have relics of her. Sant' Agrippina is
the patron saint of thunderstorms, leprosy and evil spirits. Her Feast day is
celebrated on the first weekend in August.

Each year since 1914 a group of devoted people come together to renew their
faith in her in Boston's North End, as was the custom in the land of origin,
Mineo, Sicily. Each year everyone is invited to witness the respect and honor
that is bestowed on this young, beautiful martyred saint.

The story of the journey of the martyred body of St. Agrippina from Rome to
Mineo, Sicily is full of the miraculous.

The fragrance that accompanied the body of St. Agrippina wherever it went, the
veneration of the sailors and the farmers, the miraculous light weight of the
reliquary so that the three young girls could carry it, the quickness of the
voyage from Rome to Sicily, the miraculous cloud that covered the girls and
transported them and the relics at certain times of danger in the journey, the
angels that protected them from harm, the devils that were defeated and swept
out at the sight of the sacred relics, and the miracle of Teogonia-these are all
signs that it was the will of God that Agrippina should be the Saint of this
blessed city of Mineo.

As the sacred tradition affirms, the relics of St. Agrippina arrived in Mineo on
Wednesday, May 17, in the year 261. Her feast day is celebrated on the first
weekend in August in Boston. Each year for the past 86 years, groups of devoted
people come together in Boston's North End to renew their faith in Saint
Agrippina, as was the custom in Mineo, Sicily. Each year everyone is invited to
witness the respect and honor that is bestowed on this young, beautiful martyred
Saint.

Feast Day Celebrations

Since 1914, members of the St. Agrippina Di Mineo Society gather in Boston's
North End to honor the Saint and raise money to help keep the churches in good
repair. This is a tradition that can be traced back to Mineo, Sicily, the city
where she was buried.

Posters advertising the event proclaim that "twenty devoted men" will carry a
one-ton statue of the saint for several hours. The statue is decked with
ribbons, to which those at the festival pin dollar bills. First, a priest says a
brief prayer, and unveils the statue amid fireworks and music. When the signal
is given, the devoted men lift the statue on their shoulders and begin the
procession. The twenty devoted men stop frequently and set the statue down, both
to give themselves a rest from carrying it, and to give onlookers a chance to
pin their money on the statue. Each time they set the statue down, the twenty
devoted men yell out "Viva Agrippina!" several times. Sometimes they would even
sing the words, "Viva Saint Agrippina!" to the tune "Deep in the Heart of
Texas." The Roma Band then plays a several songs while money is pinned on the
statue. The devoted men then pick up the statue again, walk for about 20 feet,
and then set the statue down again and repeat the whole procedure.

Saint Quote
We therefore grossly deceive ourselves in not allotting more time to the study
of divine truths. It is not enough barely to believe them, and let our thoughts
now and then glance upon them: that knowledge which shows us heaven, will not
bring us to the possession of it, and will deserve punishments, not rewards, if
it remain slight, weak, and superficial. By serious and frequent meditation it
must be concocted, digested, and turned into the nourishment of our affections,
before it can be powerful and operative enough to change them, and produce the
necessary fruit in our lives. For this all the saints affected solitude and
retreats from the noise and hurry of the world, as much as their circumstances
allowed them.
-St. Apollinaris

Bible Quote
But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself
in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and
ground of the truth. (1 Tim 3:15)

<><><><>
NOVENA TO THE HOLY GHOST

This is the prototype of all novenas. It commemorates the nine days between the
Ascension of Our Lord and the descent of the Holy Ghost on the first Pentecost
Sunday. During this time Our Lady and the twelve Apostles prayed in the Cenacle
for the coming of the Paraclete. Our Lord Himself instituted this novena, and it
is celebrated every year by the whole Church.

Primary Intention: Like the Apostles, we pray that the Holy Ghost will come into
our lives and set the Church and faithful on fire with true Apostolic zeal.

Secondary Intention: On Pentecost Sunday every year, we renew our consecration
to Jesus through Mary as prescribed by Saint Louis Marie de Montfort. On this
solemn occasion, we pray that we may be true to our consecration and live it
ever more faithfully during the year to come. Every member of the Crusade should
feel that he or she has a special obligation to make this novena.

Form for the novena: State the intentions given above, and then open your heart
to God the Holy Ghost in this prayer:

O Holy Ghost, O my God, I adore Thee, and acknowledge, here in Thy divine
presence, that I am nothing and can do nothing without Thee. Come, great
Paraclete, Thou father of the poor, Thou comforter the best, fulfil the promise
of our blessed Savior, Who would not leave us orphans, and come into the mind
and the heart of Thy poor, unworthy creature, as Thou didst descend on the
sacred day of Pentecost on the holy Mother of Jesus and on His first disciples.
Grant that I may participate in those gifts which Thou didst communicate to them
so wonderfully, and with so much mercy and generosity. Take from my heart
whatever is not pleasing to Thee, and make of it a worthy dwelling-place for
Thyself. Illumine my mind, that I may see and understand the things that are for
my eternal good. Inflame my heart with pure love of Thee, that I may be
cleansed from the dross of all inordinate attachments, and that my whole life
may be hidden with Jesus in God. Strengthen my will, that I may be made
comfortable to Thy divine will, and be guided by Thy holy inspirations. Aid me
by Thy grace to practice the divine lessons of humility, poverty, obedience, and
contempt of the world, which Jesus taught us in His mortal life.

Oh, rend the heavens, and come down, consoling Spirit! That inspired and
encouraged by Thee, I may faithfully comply with the duties of my state, carry
my daily cross most patiently, and endeavor to accomplish the divine will with
the utmost perfection. Spirit of love! Spirit of purity! Spirit of peace!
Sanctify my soul more and more, and give me that heavenly peace which the world
cannot give. Bless our Holy Father the Pope, bless the Church, bless our
bishops, our priests, all Religious Orders, and all the faithful, that they may
be filled with the spirit of Christ and labor earnestly for the spread of His
kingdom.

O Holy Ghost, Thou Giver of every good and perfect gift, grant me, I beseech
Thee, the intentions of this novena. May Thy will be done in me and through me.
Mayest Thou be praised and glorified forevermore! Amen.

<><>
Traditional indulgence of 7 years, once a day for each day of the novena, is
granted for any private novena in honor of the Holy Ghost made either before
Pentecost or during anytime throughout the year. A plenary indulgence is given
on the usual conditions (Confession, Communion, prayer for the intentions of the
Holy Father) at the end of the Novena; but only if no such public Novena is
offered, or the person is not able to attend a public Novena.

Imprimatur for Indulgence: +Francis Spellman, Archbishop of New York, May 30,
1951.

.