Re: Bible Quiz:

On Jul 31, 10:08 am, r...@xxxxxxxxx (·R L Measures) wrote:
How did G-d/God punish King David for getting rid of Uriah and wedding his
dropdead gorgeous widow, Bathsheeba?

2 Samuel 12:13-14
And David said to Nathan: I have sinned against the Lord. And Nathan
said to David: The Lord also hath taken away thy sin: thou shalt not
die.

Nevertheless, because thou hast given occasion to the enemies of the
Lord to blaspheme, for this thing, the child that is born to thee,
shall surely die.

The word "enemies" is likely a later insertion. Which implies that
initially the baby dying was viewed as a punishment for David, and
later was viewed as a warning and admonishment for others, as in "No,
the Hebrew God does not let his followers get away with murder and
adultery."

Thus you can view it as the punishment for David, or as a message for
witnesses and later generations that these crimes do have terrible
consequences even if forgiven, with David's(and Bathsheba's) grief
being incidental to the direct purpose.

  • Re: Back to attire (was Binary code in the LDS church (related to
    ... member of the First Presidency, any member of the twelve, etc, saying, "Ties ... or even "Refusing to wear a tie sucks". ... offense to those "little ones" in the Lord. ... Oh, says Jesse, you must mean David. ...
    (soc.religion.mormon)
  • Re: Bible Quiz:
    ... And David said to Nathan: I have sinned against the Lord. ... said to David: The Lord also hath taken away thy sin: thou shalt not ...
    (alt.religion.christian.roman-catholic)
  • Re: Bible Quiz:
    ... And David said to Nathan: I have sinned against the Lord. ... said to David: The Lord also hath taken away thy sin: thou shalt not ...
    (alt.religion.christian.roman-catholic)
  • Re: You might be a fundiementalist atheist if:
    ... Unless the 1st law is wrong. ... >guys had difficult parts of their reigns but even those like David who had ... Samuel 12:13 David said to Nathan, I have sinned against the LORD. ... Punish the child for the sins of his father. ...
    (sci.anthropology)