Re: Benny XVI cracking up!!

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 05:46:02 -0700, r@xxxxxxxxx (?R L Measures) wrote:

In Matthew 23, Jesus tells us not to use titles.
Here, in case you missed it -
Matthew 23: 9 - And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is you
Father, which is in heaven.

OOOOPS, catho_licks seem to have missed that command from Jesus!!

OOOOPS. Calling my priest "Father" is proper according to St. Paul.

? Saul-Paul lived in the 1st century, When did the practice of calling
priests "Father" begin?

When St. Paul said it in the 1st century.

1 Corinthians 4:15 (New International Version)
15Even though you have ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many
fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel.

duke, American-American
*****
Pope Paul VI
*****

  • Re: The New Gay Weddings
    ... > father nor husband? ... Any theology that leaves us outside the ... Christ Jesus. ...
    (uk.religion.christian)
  • Re: Sunday Sequence
    ... For I became your father in Christ Jesus ... Paul is saying that he is their spiritual father. ...
    (uk.religion.christian)
  • Re: The Roman Catholic "Church" is NOT Christian
    ... Duke -- what does the Bible say about calling any man Father? ... for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel. ...
    (alt.religion.christian.roman-catholic)
  • Re: "Ecclesial Communion, Conciliarity and Authority"
    ... Since it is my habit to call priests 'Father'; ... LOL, I'm picturing you and me and Jenny walking down the street chatting and all of us calling each other "father." ... "Even though you have ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel." ...
    (uk.religion.christian)
  • Re: Benny XVI cracking up!!
    ... Matthew 23: 9 - And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is you ... Father, which is in heaven. ... for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel. ...
    (alt.religion.christian.roman-catholic)