Re: "Listeners don't want DAB"

"jamie powell" <jamie_p84@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:h7cgah$3qm$1@xxxxxxxx
"DAB sounds worse than FM" <dab.is@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:7fsud9F2nh3h3U1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mono portable radios obviously would not have this arrangement.
Battery
life is important to portable radios, so it would be utterly
ridiculous
to suggest that they would keep two amplifiers running whenever the
radio is turned on just in case someone wants to listen in stereo
via
headphones. That's just needlessly wasting power.

It'd be a trivial amount of power, and most manufacturers would
choose
cheapness/simplicity over some minor power saving any day.

The audio amplifier consumes a large percentage of the overall power
consumption of a portable radio, and according to this web page:

http://www.headwize.com/tech/dbohn1_tech.htm

"So a quick rule-of-thumb is that you are going to need about 1/1000
as much power to drive your headphones as to drive your loudspeakers"

So it is hardly "a trivial amount of power".

Also see below for another reason why your assumption is massively
flawed.
then to feed L+R to the speaker
by any other method, you'd need a mechansm whereby

a) the tuners automatically switched themselves to a mono mode
when
headphones were removed.
This would require a non-standard headphone jack with an extra
"switch
mechanism" to turn mono mode on when the jack plug was removed (by
making or breaking a circuit which the firmware in the radio would
respond to), probably in addition to the usual "cut feed to
speakers
when jack plug goes in" switch mechanism. It would also cause the
FM
stereo indicator light to go out - this typically doesn't happen.

Er, headphone sockets do detect when the headphones are plugged in:

http://www.audiodesignline.com/212000759?printableArticle=true

If you thought about this before gobbing off - that is assuming
that you
are actually capable of going through the requirements of such a
system
without ignoring the most blatantly obvious ones (which is highly
debatable considering the contents of this and previous posts) -
then it
should be obvious that you need to be able to detect whether the
headphones have been plugged in or not. For example, when the
headphones
have been plugged in you obviously need to stop audio coming out
from the
portable radio's speaker! How would you do that without detecting
the
presence of the headphones?

Did you miss the part where I said **in addition to the usual "cut
feed to
speakers when jack plug goes in" switch mechanism.** ????
Your half-brain is malfunctioning again.

But Jamie Thickasfuck, just before you said that you said this about
doign it any other way than Jamie's Incompetent Mono FM System Design:

"you'd need a mechansm whereby

a) the tuners automatically switched themselves to a mono mode when
headphones were removed"

Could you explain why that would be difficult to do when they already
detect when the headphones are in?

b) a kludge whereby only one channel of the stereo amplifier was
used to
drive the internal speaker, or a dedicated mono amplifier was
fitted in
addition to the stereo one

Again. Try to think about what you're saying before placing foot in
mouth. Simply physics dictates that the power power required to
drive a
portable radio's speaker will be far higher than the power required
drive headphones, so they're obviously not going to use the same
amplifier to amplify the signal that drives the portable radio's
speaker
as for the one that drives teh headphones, because there's a
massive
difference in power levels.

Basically the entire premise behind Jamie's Hypothetical Mono FM
Non-System revolves around the fact that you seem to think that
they
would use the same amplifier for the signal that goes to the
portable
radio's speaker as for the signal that goes to the headphones, yet
this
is so obviously not the case that this alone proves that Jamie's
Hypothetical Mono FM Non-System clearly would not exist in the real
world.

Normally the stereo amplifiers in these radios do drive both the
headphones and the speaker(s), but not always. They put resistors
in-line
on the headphone socket to reduce the output power.

.... and waste 99.9% of the power consumed by the audio amplifier.

Anyway, I don't care
either way - you've admitted you were wrong about the n2 issue, and
so my
work here is done.

But what I said about putting a plus in front of n2 is still correct
for stereo FM channels. Admittedly, you have to use a minus in front
of n2 if and only if Jamie's Incompetently-Designed Mono FM
Power-Hungry System is being used by some evil companies who want to
hasten the depletion of the world's natural resources.

Also, I was being honest when I said that I don't pay any attention to
what you say, because you're a 20 year old Software Engineering
student with no knowledge of proper engineering and diabolically poor
maths skills. So it was understandable that I ignored what you said
about mono FM as well - history has shown that when you try to appear
knowledgable on this NG you usually end up coming out with nonsense.

And as I said at the time, I was discussing stereo FM up to that
point, so considering that you usually come out with nonsense, and I
knew that the equations I'd given for stereo FM were correct, it was
understandable that I had a slight lapse of concentration.

Btw, even if a dedicated mono amplifier did feed the internal
speaker,
it'd probably still use summed L+R from the FM stereo tuner, and so
the
"recombination" technique would still be in play.

There's a good example of the nonsense I mentioned above.

You're clearly just trying to claim 'victory' over something which
wasn't
even the point of disagreement between us.
You lost the big debate in royal fashion - it's now time you faced
it and
stopped being a sore loser.

See above.

--
Steve - www.savefm.org - stop the BBC bullies switching off FM

www.digitalradiotech.co.uk - digital radio news & info

"It is the sheer volume of online audio content available via
internet-connected devices which terrifies the UK radio industry. I
believe that broadband-delivered radio will explode in the years to
come, offering very local, unregulated content, as well as opening a
window to the radio stations of the world." - from the Myers Report

.