Re: In-Car DAB Digital Radio with FM Transmitter

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 16:48:11 +0000, Silk wrote:

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 08:13:33 -0800, seani wrote:

On Nov 8, 3:33 pm, Silk <m...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 09:04:55 +0000, mike o'sullivan wrote:
Looks interesting, even though, as we all know, "DAB sounds worse
than FM"

http://www.pure.com/products/product.asp?product=VL-60905

I notice they have made no attempt to hide the fact it's DAB+
upgradable, so that's one conspiracy theory knocked on the head.

Of course, the most important omission is a decent aerial. I don't rate
its chances in anywhere other than very good DAB reception areas.

I'm much more exercised by the conspiracy among car manufacturers to
take a perfectly good standard where you can replace the ICE to your
hearts content, with something that costs an arm and a leg and is
compatible with nothing else, by the simple expedient of adding a few
curves and slapping a bespoke plastic fascia on everything.

That's not strictly true. Although my experience is mainly with VW group
cars, I find modern ICE quite straightforward to replace as most stuff
comes with DIN standard connectors. My Octavia just required a Skoda
supplied facia adapter and removal and replacement of 4 screws - took
around 15 minutes - I actually fitted it in the carpark of the Post
Office sorting office where I collected the radio. Everything just
plugged in. The only exception being the DAB aerial that required about
an hour's work. But even that wasn't too difficult.

Well this is always the danger of extrapolating personal experience into
generality (for both of us :-))

My Volvo S60 has no such standard and inexpensive route, and neither does
Mrs Seani's Yaris. The Yaris in particular was stupidly expensive to fit
with even a single CD player (by my standards), and the result isn't even
streamlined, it's plug-ugly, non-standard, and leaves the ICE controls
spread all over the dashboard and counter-intuitive.

I tried the adapter route at first, but I'm now glad I went to
the
trouble of doing things properly, even if I did end up spending about 10
times what I intended to. :-(