Re: I'm stopping posting

Richard Evans wrote:
Richard L wrote:
In message <_Y60i.2137$nN5.1239@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Richard Evans <R.P.Evans.NoSpam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

When I was in Cardiff (many years ago),
it took me a while to get used to the locals asking where I was to.
Apparently they use that expression in parts of Wales.

Meaning what? Where you were going to?

I took a guessed that you would have heard of this expression, but apparently I guessed wrong.

It actually means where are you from, but they use the word to in place of the word from. It can be a bit confusing the first time you hear it.

In the Bristol area it just means "where are you?". The "to" is just an extra bit. I believe it's because the old dialect for"where are you?" would have been something like "Where's to?" and the two have just been combined.
.