Re: I'm stopping posting

Silk wrote:
Richard Evans wrote:
Silk wrote:
Richard Evans wrote:
Ian wrote:

DAB is rubbish, it is only good for sales people as they can sell more advertising for more stations owned by the same companies. Bitrates are reduced to cram more automated stations in.
Well you won't get any argument from me on that one.

DAB+ will just mean more of the same.

Well I've already discussed my opinion on that, so I don't think I repeat all the details again right now. I do think however that DAB+ will be much more of a mixture, with some good quality broadcasts and some bad.

Time will tell. I'd like to be optimistic, but I just can't see the broadcasters going for improved quality if they don't think most people will notice. Maybe once upon a time, when the engineers ran the show, things were different.

I'm a little more optimistic.
If no broadcasters cared about sound quality, then wouldn't everybody be broadcasting in 64k mono by now?

I'd also point out that a few months ago 3 services in London were upgraded from 128k to 160k.

Basically I think that at least some broadcasters do know that it is worth providing better audio quality, where it is practical to do so. However with the current DAB system it simply isn't practical. The space can be difficult to find, and the costs would be too high.

DAB+ eases both those problems, so then we will see who is and isn't prepared to provide good sound quality.

Richard E.

  • Re: Public consultation
    ... know or care that will not know or care about DAB. ... That's the broadcasters' view, and therefore you supporting that view makes ... The reality is that the public don't understand digital radio technology, ... the public not appreciating good quality - people love HDTV: ...
    (alt.radio.digital)
  • Re: Germany national public radio to cease on DAB
    ... How I managed to type radio instead I'm not sure, but then reading and writing was never one of my strong points. ... Perhaps, but this is assuming that people even want to pay for mobile TV, and that the subscription they are prepared to pay is enough for the mobile TV broadcasters to buy up all the available capacity. ... Well they seem willing to pay to broadcast on DAB, and even at low quality, that costs considerably more than it would cost to broadcast in high quality on DVB-T2. ...
    (alt.radio.digital)
  • Re: AAC+ for DAB.
    ... The point I have been making all along is that "upgrading" DAB from mp2 ... If you look at the current situation on the Internet, many smaller broadcasters are using much higher sound quality than most of the large broadcasters. ... Changing to AAC+ would at least make higher audio quality an option. ...
    (alt.radio.digital)
  • Re: history of DAB
    ... If DAB "offers" CD quality but the broadcaster only decides to ... take half CD quality, the "offer" of CD quality is also correct. ... DAB DOES NOT OFFER radio listeners near CD-quality UNLESS the broadcasters ...
    (alt.radio.digital)
  • Re: AAC+ for DAB.
    ... DAB+ via the USB socket in spring 2007. ... operators' offices and new AAC+ encoders at the broadcasters' offices. ... Note that at the moment CD quality is generally seen as the gold ...
    (alt.radio.digital)