Re: Goodbye to PrimeTime Radio

On Thu, 11 May 2006 06:50:18 +0100, "Mike Terry"
<miketerry73@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Sunday 14th May is the last day that PrimeTime Radio will be broadcast
nationally on DAB digital radio. We're sad to lose the station from our
network, as it was a distinctive and popular service. We aren't currently
able to confirm how the capacity will be used in the future, but we'll let
you know as soon as more details become available."

DigitalOne info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Did anyone else think the sound quality was poor even by DAB
standards? A lot of the time it seemed grating to me, like playing
singles with a worn stylus.

I wonder if poor sound quality was one of the reasons for leaving DAB
(or is the sound quality the same on the other platforms)?

  • Re: Mr Bill OReilly Can you give me a Dab+ to replace my existing Dab tuner?
    ... I don't remember seeing anything about Radio 1 deserving any special treatment compared to all the other stations. ... Many people might not complain about poor sound quality, because they don't understand what the problem is, and it didn't help that the BBC kept fobbing off people who complained about poor sound quality, with reception advice. ... I think the DAB industry has deliberately made the sound quality issue seem a lot less significant than it actually is. ...
    (alt.radio.digital)
  • Re: Should there be an investigation into the misleading and false information the BBC is broadcasti
    ... They seem to always try to pretend that everybody who complains about sound quality is complaining about the bubbling mud, and then answer everything with reception advice, or promising that the signal will improve. ... If you want to complain it might be best to try and emphasise that DAB is "Broadcast" with poor sound quality. ... In that interview on Feedback someone did actually say that people complain about poor sound quality even with a perfect signal, but they still managed to fobb that off with some crap about 70% of people are very happy with DAB. ...
    (alt.radio.digital)
  • Re: UK radio companies call for AM and FM switch-off by 2015
    ... I'm just a little annoyed at people on here who stray away from the facts and rant about every aspect of DAB just because we have too many stations crammed into limited space. ... Just to remind you, I'm somebody who used DAB almost every day for about 18 months, but gave up on it because of the poor sound quality. ...
    (alt.radio.digital)
  • Re: UK radio companies call for AM and FM switch-off by 2015
    ... I'm just a little annoyed at people on here who stray away from the facts and rant about every aspect of DAB just because we have too many stations crammed into limited space. ... Just to remind you, I'm somebody who used DAB almost every day for about 18 months, but gave up on it because of the poor sound quality. ...
    (alt.radio.digital)
  • Re: BBC to admit to lying
    ... Well I do tend to choose which station I want to listen to based upon content rather than sound quality, but only if the sound quality is of a level that I find acceptable. ... However in the end the poor sound quality on DAB was getting on my nerves so much, that I could no longer enjoy it. ... In fact DAB listening began to feel more like a chore. ... That doesn't mean I stopped listening because I know it was only 128k, I actually stopped listening because I could no longer put up with the poor sound quality. ...
    (alt.radio.digital)