Re: mp2 + sbr

Pierre PANTALÉON wrote:
> DAB sounds worse than FM a écrit :
>
>> As I said, a listening test in October 2004 showed that Layer 2+SBR
>> performs poorly:
>>
>> http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/Subjective_Evaluation_of_Layer_II_with_SBR.pdf
>> (360 KB)
>>
>> page 8, Conclusions:
>>
>> "The results indicate that at 128 kbps, the performance of
>> the single rate Layer II + SBR codec was equivalent to
>> the ITIS hardware Layer II codec. At 160 kbps
>> however, Layer II + SBR codec performed significantly
>> poorer than the ITIS hardware Layer II codec. The
>> subjective performance of the single rate Layer II +
>> SBR codec at 160 kbps was equivalent to the
>> performance of the ITIS hardware Layer II codec
>> operating at 128 kbps."
>>
>> i.e. Layer 2+SBR actually performs worse or no better than Layer 2 on
>> its own!
>
> After test with very good encoder, mp2 can have cut frequency near 20
> kHz. SBR isn't needed.

How many times does it take before you understand this? MP2 is a crap
audio codec and aat 128kbps it sounds attrocious.

How many times and how many different people need to tell you that MP2
is an inefficient audio codec and that it sounds crap at 128kbps before
you believe us??????????

Moreover, are you aware that all DAB stations in the UK (to my
knowledge) only have a bandwidth of 15.5 kHz? Not 20 kHz.

Find the cheapest Freeview, DAB & MP3 Player Prices:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/freeview_receivers.htm
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/dab_digital_radios.htm
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/mp3_players_1GB-5GB.htm
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/mp3_players_large_capacity.htm