Re: DRM+DAB Receivers Have HE AAC Decoders in Them!

Gegroet,

steve41@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx schreef:
Radioscape use software-defined radio. They've already developed
software for DMB with DAB. An HE AAC decoder is there already, and it
could be used very easily.

That's not the issue.

The question why a receiver-manufactorer would use a more complex chip with features not needed and cost them more royalties if there is no need for it.

"DAB Perspectives based on AVDS Developments
* Pave way for new audio codecs (e.g. HE AAC v2)
* Convert DAB into an "All IP System" (incl. Audio)"

Note the word "Perspectives".

Yeah, I can read. And just in case you're using a different meaning of
the word to me, here's a dictionary definition of it:
http://www.onelook.com/?w=perspective&ls=a

Well, "perspective" in a marketing-document (if the vice-president of a industry-organisation makes a speech, it's "marketing") means something else. It means "possibility", or "we are looking into it", or "we want to mention it as we have a reason to do so".

I've been in sufficiant conferences which showed "what the future *will* look like" (not "might", or "might possibibly look like") and "we've got just some bugs to fix but you can expect this technology to appear in our products by next year".

Well, it never did. :-)

I have absolutely no idea what definition of the word 'perspective'
you're using, but it seems to be wrong.
It looks like you don't want to "have an idea" as it would not fit your matra.

What's the procedure inside the worlddab forum to get a technical
proposal into the offical worlddab/ETSI specifications?

They'll have a vote.

Who can vote? What are the opinions of the about this?

Get your head out of your arse and think about this rationally.
Sure, why would somebody be forced to by a chip which does both DRM/DAB if you just want DAB?

A chip which can do MPEG-4 cost extra royalties? Why would I pay for them if the specs of DAB only specify mpeg layer 2?

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne. .

Relevant Pages

  • Re: DRM+DAB Receivers Have HE AAC Decoders in Them!
    ... DAB sounds worse than FM skrev: ... > All DRM receiver have to have an HE AAC decoder in them, ... > HE AAC stream through a DAB data channel and redirecting it in the ... > receiver to the HE AAC decoder solves DAB's problem. ...
    (alt.radio.digital)
  • Re: Is the BBC deliberately degrading FM?
    ... whereas the engineers in the European DAB industry were ... for DAB and a shiny supercharged new AAC decoder sat idly next to it when ... to pass over when about 97% of all DAB receivers contain an AAC decoder to ... And on the subject of the European DAB industry's views on DAB's technology, ...
    (alt.radio.digital)
  • Re: DRM+DAB Receivers Have HE AAC Decoders in Them!
    ... DAB Killer wrote: ... > DAB sounds worse than FM skrev: ... >> All DRM receiver have to have an HE AAC decoder in them, ... >> receiver to the HE AAC decoder solves DAB's problem. ...
    (alt.radio.digital)
  • Re: DRM+DAB Receivers Have HE AAC Decoders in Them!
    ... >>> software for DMB with DAB. ... An HE AAC decoder is there already, ... >in the receiver if the receiver supports DRM. ...
    (alt.radio.digital)
  • Re: DAB Might Adopt HE AAC
    ... DAB is BAD schreef: of the WorldDAB Technical Committee: ... Pave way for new audio codecs (e.g. ... Some friends of me make movies for TV only on that platform. ... Flash must be even better than Java... ...
    (alt.radio.digital)