Re: DRM+DAB Receivers Have HE AAC Decoders in Them!

Kristoff Bonne wrote:
> Gegroet,
>

> steve41@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx schreef:
> > Radioscape use software-defined radio. They've already developed
> > software for DMB with DAB. An HE AAC decoder is there already, and it
> > could be used very easily.
>
> That's not the issue.
>
> The question why a receiver-manufactorer would use a more complex chip
> with features not needed and cost them more royalties if there is no
> need for it.

Perhaps you're not keeping up here? The HE AAC decoder will already be
in the receiver if the receiver supports DRM.

> >>Note the word "Perspectives".
>
> > Yeah, I can read. And just in case you're using a different meaning of
> > the word to me, here's a dictionary definition of it:
> > http://www.onelook.com/?w=perspective&ls=a
>
> Well, "perspective" in a marketing-document (if the vice-president of a
> industry-organisation makes a speech, it's "marketing") means something
> else. It means "possibility", or "we are looking into it", or "we want
> to mention it as we have a reason to do so".

Now you're just talking nonsense. You usually have a pretty good
command of the English language, but you've definitely got this wrong.

> I've been in sufficiant conferences which showed "what the future *will*
> look like" (not "might", or "might possibibly look like") and "we've got
> just some bugs to fix but you can expect this technology to appear in
> our products by next year".
>
> Well, it never did. :-)

Really? You've never told us that before, Kristoff.

> > I have absolutely no idea what definition of the word 'perspective'
> > you're using, but it seems to be wrong.
> It looks like you don't want to "have an idea" as it would not fit your
> matra.

Do forgive me for understanding what words in English actually mean
better than you Bonne.

I'm afraid you haven't got a leg to stand on here

> >>What's the procedure inside the worlddab forum to get a technical
> >>proposal into the offical worlddab/ETSI specifications?
>
> > They'll have a vote.
>
> Who can vote? What are the opinions of the about this?

Presumably everybody can vote.

> > Get your head out of your arse and think about this rationally.
> Sure, why would somebody be forced to by a chip which does both DRM/DAB
> if you just want DAB?

Given the fact that the DRM consortium and the WorldDAB Forum are now
cooperating together, and that DRM is being extended up to 120 MHz and
it looks a safe bet that it'll be used in a lot of countries, why
wouldn't DRM be supported?

> A chip which can do MPEG-4 cost extra royalties? Why would I pay for
> them if the specs of DAB only specify mpeg layer 2?

You amaze me. If this was a thread only about DRM then you wouldn't say
any of this. You're an imbecile. Get your head out of your arse man.

  • Re: AussieDAB+
    ... A lot of broadcasters aren't even interested, some are & the industry body Commercial Radio Australia are pushing for some sort of digital radio & for the Government to reserve spectrum for it. ... Our National broadcasters are semi-interested, but the government made the choice of DAB+ & locked in use it or lose it,start up dates so the broadcasters have been forced into it,. ... I remember from posting on the Australian radio Usenet group a few years ago that some of the people who were pushing for DRM+ operated or worked for a radio station that would have benefited from DRM+ being used. ... as in the UK of cramming stations into the multiplex, ...
    (alt.radio.digital)
  • Re: AussieDAB+
    ... $10 million on digital radio promotions ... I don't know about commercial radio or even the BBC ... Who is it that wants to use DRM+? ... current DAB+ coverage. ...
    (alt.radio.digital)
  • Re: RRC-06 Maps
    ... using DAB. ... radio, which coulddn't be further from the truth. ... How many DRM+ radios? ... And who says that the broadcasters will not drop the bitrate to 20 Kbps ...
    (alt.radio.digital)
  • Re: Steve Green has hit the Danish media debate
    ... DAB in the UK will have 11 x 1.71 MHz channels. ... A 50 kHz DRM+ channel will ... >> 18.81 MHz of spectrum there would be 376 channel slots. ... The transmitter powers required for DRM are obviously tiny compared to ...
    (alt.radio.digital)
  • Re: BBC - Change of policy for bit rates?
    ... broadcast of the most popular stations (probably Radio 1 and Radio 2) using DRM+. ... That way existing DAB users would not be inconvenienced, but people prepared to buy new receivers would be able to gain access to a high quality mobile digital service. ... I know that many people here would consider high quality mobile reception as an unnecessary extravagance, but I don't see it that way. ...
    (alt.radio.digital)