Re: Undecided

Robert wrote:
> I bought my DAB receiver not knowing about the discussion of sound
> quality and expected it to be better than FM. For radio 3 (my main
> listening) I find that the quality is much better than FM.

Is your DAB receiver a portable radio or a tuner?

What FM radio/tuner have you got?
Is your reception on Radio 3 FM poor?

The reason I'm asking is because, for me, Radio 3 sounds significantly
better on FM than on DAB. (Denon TU260L FM tuner, VideoLogic DAB tuner)

> But for
> many other channels I noticed the sound distorted on "sss" sounds and
> also that the signal was often in mono. Onlylater, when I read some
> of the discussion of DAB vs. FM r did I understand why this was, with
> radio 3 haveing a reasonable bandwidth but others being crammed into
> small spaces. it only seems to be the UK that does this cramming of
> station to get quantity at the expense of quality.
>
> Why does this matter? yes, bcause FM will eventually be switched off.

Correct.

Find the cheapest Freeview, DAB & MP3 Player Prices:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/freeview_receivers.htm
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/dab_digital_radios.htm
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/mp3_players_1GB-5GB.htm
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/mp3_players_large_capacity.htm

  • Re: From The Guardian today - DAB quality - discuss!
    ... though I do know the difference in the sound). ... The sound quality is not marketed much. ... Digital Radio Development Bureau? ... That may actually be true, though I suspect is self-fulfilling, in that DAB ...
    (uk.tech.broadcast)
  • Re: RRC-06 - Documents about outcome available?
    ... DAB isn't much use for anything else. ... As most people have multiple radios at home: portable radios, clock-radios, fixed radio; walkman-radios; people will start by buying a portable radio as their first DAB-radio; and see from there on. ... Therefore I don't think it is fair to use the lack of hifi sets out there as a justification for low sound quality, as the low sound quality is actually a cause of the lack of hifi sete out there. ... However I still notice that often smaller stations go to some trouble to provide quality and there must be a reason for this. ...
    (alt.radio.digital)
  • Re: Undecided
    ... interested to see the split in opinion on sound quality. ... I have a cheap DAB radio in the kitchen, and to be honest think the quality ...
    (alt.radio.digital)
  • Re: RRC-06 - Documents about outcome available?
    ... The dreadful audio quality may well be the reason why 95% of DAB-radios are portable. ... As most people have multiple radios at home: portable radios, clock-radios, fixed radio; walkman-radios; people will start by buying a portable radio as their first DAB-radio; and see from there on. ... This means that there is most demand for this kind of radios; there will be more manufactorers aiming at that market; there will be more choice of portbale radios for DAB and makes the prices go down; and this increases the attraction of this kind of radios even more. ... By the time that they know about these new radio-stations, they might find out that their freeview or skybox -which they aleady had- can also be used for these stations too- and by hooking up some cheapo PC-loadspreakers to the audio-out connectors of their freeview or sky-box; the need to buy an hifi-radio for fixed-mode reception of the digital radio-stations may have dissapeared all-together. ...
    (alt.radio.digital)
  • Re: BBC - Change of policy for bit rates?
    ... Radio 4 was always trasmitted in mono at 80kbps. ... We aim to balance the preferences of all our listeners - giving them the best possible sports coverage while maintaining good sound quality for Radio 3 performances. ... It was decided that, as Radio 3 has the highest bit rate of BBC networks, it could accommodate a small drop.) ... we have improved the DAB MPEG audio coding algorithm at 160 kbps to maintain audio quality. ...
    (alt.radio.digital)