Undecided

HI - been keeping an eye on this group for a little while now. Really
interested to see the split in opinion on sound quality. It seems there are
some on this group that really think it is bad.

I have a cheap DAB radio in the kitchen, and to be honest think the quality
is pretty damn good. Not that I am comparing it to a hi-fi you understand -
that is in the living room - and a nice one it is too (Cyrus and Mission
gear - so I know a thing or two about hi fi quality)

This is a portable kitchen radio and as such I dont expect wonders - but
still, I think the quality and breadth of choice is superb. I like talk
stations and music - tend to listen to 6 music and Radio 5 Live for Cricket
and footie.

What I really wonder though is, if there are so many on this group that hate
DAB so much, why do they own them, and then spend their time telling people
how bad it is. If it was me, I'd stick my radio on ebay, sell it, return to
FM and forget about it.

Not wanting to start a battle here, but looking for a sound advice forum.
One or two DAB newbies have posted on here asking for advice on units
themselves, reviews etc, and they seem to get a torrent of replies saying
"dont bother mate, sound quality is dreadful"

Just my two cents.

Pauljmuk

  • Re: RRC-06 - Documents about outcome available?
    ... DAB isn't much use for anything else. ... As most people have multiple radios at home: portable radios, clock-radios, fixed radio; walkman-radios; people will start by buying a portable radio as their first DAB-radio; and see from there on. ... Therefore I don't think it is fair to use the lack of hifi sets out there as a justification for low sound quality, as the low sound quality is actually a cause of the lack of hifi sete out there. ... However I still notice that often smaller stations go to some trouble to provide quality and there must be a reason for this. ...
    (alt.radio.digital)
  • Re: RRC-06 - Documents about outcome available?
    ... The dreadful audio quality may well be the reason why 95% of DAB-radios are portable. ... As most people have multiple radios at home: portable radios, clock-radios, fixed radio; walkman-radios; people will start by buying a portable radio as their first DAB-radio; and see from there on. ... This means that there is most demand for this kind of radios; there will be more manufactorers aiming at that market; there will be more choice of portbale radios for DAB and makes the prices go down; and this increases the attraction of this kind of radios even more. ... By the time that they know about these new radio-stations, they might find out that their freeview or skybox -which they aleady had- can also be used for these stations too- and by hooking up some cheapo PC-loadspreakers to the audio-out connectors of their freeview or sky-box; the need to buy an hifi-radio for fixed-mode reception of the digital radio-stations may have dissapeared all-together. ...
    (alt.radio.digital)
  • Re: BBC - Change of policy for bit rates?
    ... Radio 4 was always trasmitted in mono at 80kbps. ... We aim to balance the preferences of all our listeners - giving them the best possible sports coverage while maintaining good sound quality for Radio 3 performances. ... It was decided that, as Radio 3 has the highest bit rate of BBC networks, it could accommodate a small drop.) ... we have improved the DAB MPEG audio coding algorithm at 160 kbps to maintain audio quality. ...
    (alt.radio.digital)
  • Re: Dr says audiophiles "taught themselves to become irritated by poor audio quality."
    ... cost of another BBC radio station. ... if _you_ think the BBC is infinite, ... millions & millions - or B) maintain higher audio quality - ... everybody on to its preferred platforms: DAB and Freeview, ...