Skype encryption thwarting police and intelligence agencies

http://www.infoworld.com/d/developer-world/update-skypes-immunity-phone-
tapping-threatened-258

The Europeans want to put in place a legal framework to tap VOIP
conversations. The thing is, even if they HAVE legal jurisdiction , it
won't matter since Skype is heavily encrypted and even if Skype wanted
to they wouldn't be able to help them break the encryption. My guess is
that they'll demand that any VOIP program needs to be able to be
wiretapped. But what if Skype doesn't comply? And what if someone
releases an open-source program which has similar strong encryption
like Skype? Will they ban it? Will they eventually try to ban all
encryption on the Internet?

In my opinion the law enforcement agencies lost the battle long ago, in
the 1990's, when Phil Zimmerman released PGP and won the court battles
that followed. In the future, more and more programs will encrypt data
in transit, making it impossible for anyone to listen in.

  • Re: Skype encryption thwarting police and intelligence agencies
    ... The Europeans want to put in place a legal framework to tap VOIP ... won't matter since Skype is heavily encrypted and even if Skype wanted ... to they wouldn't be able to help them break the encryption. ... PGP can never be the problem. ...
    (alt.privacy)
  • Re: EU group aims to eavesdrop on Skype calls
    ... The EU's judicial coordination group says criminals are increasingly ... EU group aims to eavesdrop on Skype calls ... peer-to-peer architecture and encryption techniques, ...
    (uk.legal)
  • EU group aims to eavesdrop on Skype calls
    ... EU group aims to eavesdrop on Skype calls ... The EU's judicial coordination group says criminals are increasingly ... peer-to-peer architecture and encryption techniques, ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Mobile voice cryptography
    ... There are certain software products that use 3G package ... I think Skype can get ... The solution you are looking for pretty well has to be VOIP with encryption, as mobile operators don't pass voice bits in the right ... If you are working in regions where there is only analogue telephone service, or in a situation where only analogue telephone lines can be used, the situation may be different - but I don't know of any suppliers of systems which will do that securely. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] Skype chat encryption with OTR
    ... concerned about the lacks of and end-to-end message encryption system (a ... plug-in for skype). ... #1 Get and install Adium (I suggest portable adium in a separated ... #2 Get and install Skype plug-in for Adium ...
    (Full-Disclosure)