Wild-eyed, seductive, batshit crazy biblethumpers have invaded public schools nationwide and are brainwashing children with christian mythology, lies, and bullshit

-- quote

My mother pulls into a dusty parking lot where cars and church vans
are dropping off little kids with scruffy suitcases and sleeping bags.
At $20 a subsidized head, I am surrounded by other kids like me whose
parents can?t afford to send them to a regular summer camp. We are
headed for Camp Good News where the price we will pay for ordinary
camp activities is a routine of daily Bible studies and altar calls.
In the morning we will pledge allegiance to the Christian flag and ?to
the Savior for whose kingdom it stands.? We will be kept up late
watching movies of modern martyrs and missionaries. And, sleep
deprived and far from our parents, we will be subjected to repeated
urgings to confess our sins before it?s too late. As weeping children
move forward down the aisle and are lead away by counselors who can
guide them through the sinner?s prayer, the rest of us will sing. What
can wash away my sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus. What can make me
whole again? Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Child Evangelism Fellowship, the parent organization that ran and
owned the camp, is a fundamentalist Christian organization that views
children as a market for religious recruiting. With a presence in
over 170 countries and the support of 40,000 volunteers in the U.S.
and Canada, CEF claims to reach 10 million kids a year. CEF often
pursues kids that are vulnerable in some way?impoverished perhaps,
with parents who can?t provide the resources or attention they would
wish. My camp-mates in Prescott were drawn primarily from the inner
city, and the CEF website currently encourages outreach to foster
parents and state family service agencies. But their work in North
America has now penetrated middle class communities in all fifty
states, largely through expansion of afterschool programs called Good
News Clubs. Since the 1990?s they have been driving to establish Good
News Clubs at public elementary schools and encouraging churches to
?adopt? local schools. Sunday school, Vacation Bible School, and
summer camps don?t provide sufficient access to the most desired
targets of their conversion activities: grade school children whose
parents and religious communities aren?t Christian fundamentalists.

In 2001, a Supreme Court decision, Good News Club v Milford Central
School forced public elementary schools to open their doors to after
school clubs run by Child Evangelism Fellowship. Alito and the
majority accepted the argument that the Good News Clubs weren?t really
teaching religion?they were teaching character, in other words morals,
from a religious point of view. Last week investigative journalist
Kathryn Stewart exposed the fact that those ?morals? include biblical
justification of genocide.

In actual fact, Child Evangelism Fellowship is not in the business of
teaching morals. It is an Evangelical organization with a core belief
that no amount of morals will get you into heaven. In their
fundamentalist theology, all children are born sinful and slated for
eternal torture. Only the divine human sacrifice of Jesus and being
?born-again? can save them from this fate. To funders and volunteers,
Child Evangelism fellowship is very clear about mission: ?CEF is a
Bible-centered, worldwide organization composed of born-again
believers whose purpose is to evangelize boys and girls with the
Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ, disciple them in the Word of God and
establish them in a Bible-believing church for Christian living.? Your
child is their mission field.

Since the 2001 court decision forced open the door, CEF has
established after school clubs on over 3200 public elementary schools
across the country. Their website trumpeted the opportunity: The
Gospel has been taught freely in public schools all over the world for
some time. Now children in the U.S. have that opportunity, too!

Children can?t participate in Good News Clubs, without written
parental permission, and some fundamentalist parents like the idea of
their children receiving religious instruction at school. But say
you?re not one of them. Say, also, that you?d rather not have other
kids in your son?s first grade class telling your kid he?s going to
hell ? because that?s what they got taught at school. What can you do?

One passionate adult can make a difference! In 2009-2010, a north
Seattle parent, John Lederer had a rude awakening.

I was on the playground volunteering, and another parent said, ?Did
you know that there was this evangelical group running a program out
of the school?? They had sent a flyer home by kid mail. I was
surprised. I thought it was illegal. Why were they showing up in my
child?s school? When I read their mission statement and values and
principles it was clear that this was a very theologically
conservative, right wing and evangelical form of Christian faith. My
initial concern wasn?t that they existed but that they had targeted my
child?s school and my child is only six years old.

Lederer is not an anti-theist. He and his family are members of a
United Methodist church. But he believes that spiritual instruction
should be guided by parents and that religion has no place in public
grade schools, even after hours. ?I resent that there is an
organization trying to go around me and recruit my child through her
peers in her school to forms of belief that we do not share. They are
interfering with what that first spiritual learning is going to be,
which I believe should be between a parent and child.?

Lederer and other concerned parents began monitoring CEF activities at
their school, Loyal Heights Elementary. They found CEF in clear
violation of district policy and of the basic assumptions of the
Supreme Court decision, for example that children would be able to
differentiate CEF activities from those of the school itself:

The leader of the Good News Club began volunteering in a kindergarten
classroom four days per week. This person, who didn?t have a child in
the school, who was leading the Good News Club on Fridays, was present
in the kindergarten classroom, presumably so she could identify
students who she might be able to recruit and build relationships with
them. A kindergartener can?t tell the difference between a teacher and
a volunteer. Both are authority figures who they implicitly trust.

In the end, this issue may need to be re-litigated. Someone will have
to demonstrate that CEF does not abide by core assertions and
assumptions of the Milford case and, in fact, is unable to do so
because that would violate their mission. But in the meantime, there
are steps that school districts, administrators and parents can take
to minimize the harm done.

The Loyal Heights parents got advice from a local chapter of Americans
United for Separation of Church and State. Through meetings with
school administrators they were able to create a clearer boundary
between the Good News Club and the school. This impaired the ability
of the CEF volunteers to recruit, and in recent years the Loyal
Heights Good News Club has failed to grow and has been moved into a
?portable? farther from the main school building. The Loyal Heights
parents compiled suggestions for other communities facing similar
incursions. Here is their list:

What can parents do?

Learn more so you are able to educate other parents about CEF?s
beliefs and strategy for courting children. Read CEF?s statement of
faith and Katherine Stewart?s book, The Good News Club. Stewart?s
investigative journalism took her deep inside the organization.

Don?t be intimidated by the Child Evangelism Fellowship (CEF) and its
legal partners.

Review the CEF curriculum. This allows parents who may be thinking of
participating in the CEF?s activity to make an informed decision about
whether the program comprises the initial religious and moral
indoctrination they want for their children.

Review and understand those school district policies and procedures
that can help ensure that CEF?s religious activities are separated
from the school administration, operations, and instructional program.

If necessary, push for revision of those policies and procedures.

Take the time to sit in on a club meeting or two. Document any
concerns you want to discuss with school officials.

Head off faith-based bullying in your school. If your child?s school
has an anti-bullying program, make sure it covers religious bullying.
If not, create an anti-bullying program.

Be watchful and ensure that students are not subjected to pressure or
harassment with regard to their religious beliefs and practices while
at school. Report incidents to the school administration.

Try to convince other parents that while CEF may have a legal right to
rent space at a public elementary school, their activity is best
suited for a neighborhood church or similar location. Offer to assist
CEF in moving their activity to a nearby location.

Speak up and make your concerns known to other parents, school staff,
and CEF leadership.

What can the school district do about this?

Establish policies prohibiting participation by teachers, volunteers
and staff in the CEF activity at the same school where they work.

Educate school staff and volunteers about policies that prevent them,
when on the job, from speaking or acting in a manner that can be
easily perceived as promoting or endorsing religious instruction or
practice.

Prohibit CEF from using school and PTA communication vehicles to
promote their activity, or from sponsoring school activities.
Enforce student anti-harassment policies that protect students from
aggressive proselytizing.

Assure that the CEF, as a religious organization, will pay for the use
of the space it occupies and that Good News Club meetings occur well
after the end of the school day.

Obtain a written commitment that interested parents will have access
to the CEF curriculum for inspection and that their meetings will be
open to all students and parents.

What can concerned citizens do about this?
Reach out to your local chapter of American United to find out about
CEF activity in your community?s elementary schools.
Open up conversations in your community about religious recruiting of
children.
Support and volunteer for non-sectarian after school activities for
children in your community.
Throw your weight behind Americans United or the ACLU or another
church-state watchdog and support them in whatever way you can.

Like John Lederer, journalist Katherine Stewart got involved in this
issue when CEF launched a Good News Club at her children?s school.
After two years of research, Stewart doesn?t mince words:

Good News Clubs have as their aim the destruction of public education
as we know it, and public school officials, as well as parents, should
be concerned. They say their goal is "Bible Study" from a
"nondenominational standpoint." In fact, their aim is to "knock down
all the doors, all the barriers, to all 65,000 public schools in
America and take the gospel to this open mission field now! Not later,
now!" in the words of one of their leaders. Most activists I met with
the CEF believe that most Americans who call themselves Christians
aren't really Christians, or aren't the "right kind" of Christians.

That includes United Methodists, U.S. Episcopalians, Roman Catholics,
liberal Congregationalists...this list goes on. Keynote speakers at
their national conventions promote creationism, rail against the
so-called "homosexual agenda," and think that public education is evil
because "they removed Christ as the foundation."

As they teach kids as young as six or seven about original sin and
blood atonement and divinely sanctioned genocide, CEF staff and
volunteers believe they are on a mission from God. They are well
financed and have a seasoned team of legal advocates at their
disposal. Any community that doesn?t stand up for its children can
expect to have fundamentalist recruiters in its public grade schools.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/06/09/1098817/-Don-t-Want-Pro-Genocide-Bible-Lessons-in-Your-Public-School-Fight-Back-Here-s-How

-- end quote

  • OT humor
    ... the psychic devastation that claimed her son. ... had dropped out of graduate school, ... one whose parents were woefully unequipped to recognize it. ... "We try hard to engage all of our students in fun, ...
    (misc.survivalism)
  • Re: OT? American politics
    ... Zealand has been a resounding failure. ... increased for all school staff, and it is reasonably clear that devolution ... more affluent parents often have more flexible ... they chose a house is by which schools their kids would go to. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: In the News: Science, faith clash in class
    ... >>> math and science taught well is the desire from parents and school ... > school boards and parents. ... But we're not willing to pay any ... > 300 essays per hour is much cheaper than grading 10 per hour. ...
    (talk.origins)