The REAL threat to marriage?? Divorce in the conservative Christian South.
- From: Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names <PopUlist349@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 16:18:16 -0500
The Daily Texan reports Conservative Christians divorce more, study
Divorce is more common among conservative Christians and young people,
according to a recent study.
University of Iowa sociology professor Jennifer Glass presented her
study on skyrocketing divorce rates in regions highly populated with
conservative Christians to an overflowing crowd in Burdine Hall on
"Politically and religiously conservative states, especially in the
Deep South, exhibit higher divorce rates than politically and
religiously liberal states in the Northeast and Midwest," Glass wrote
in her study.
-- end quote
Meanwhile, the radical rightwing loons at the National Organization
for Marriage have been pushing a huge lie -- here's a filing from the
amicus brief they filed in support of Prop 8: (pdf)
Single parenthood began its rapid spread during the 1960s, when elite
attitudes toward sex, marriage, divorce, and parenthood were
undergoing a dramatic change. . . . In the space of a decade we moved
from thinking that society ought to discourage extramarital sex, and
especially out-of-wedlock births, to thinking that such efforts were
an unwarranted infringement on personal liberty.
-- end quote
James Dobson of the Family Research Council started spreading bullshit
as early as 2004:
The legalization of homosexual marriage will quickly destroy the
We?ve already seen evidence from the Scandinavian countries that
de-facto homosexual marriage destroys the real Mc Coy. These two
entities cannot coexist because they represent opposite ends of the
-- end quote
Meanwhile, in the known universe, turns out same-sex marriage and
opposite-sex marriage co-exist very nicely. Wall Street Journal
reported statistic compiled by the US Census shows the state that
first started marrying gays in 2006, Massachusetts, continues enjoys
the lowest divorce rate in the country (and it's going down). In fact,
other marriage equality states like Connecticut, Iowa, New Hampshire,
Vermont, and Washington, D.C. all fare quite low.
Meanwhile the 31 states that have passed gay marriage bans, Kentucky,
Tennessee, Nevada, Arkansas, West Virginia are in the highest bracket
It seems your work to "save marriage" is actually, counter-productive.
- Prev by Date: Re: 14th amendment repeal.
- Next by Date: Remember the story about the NYC sanitation workers who said they were ordered to slow down work on snow removal?? TURNS OUT THE STORY WAS A LIE -- SPREAD BY A REPUBLICAN COUNCILMAN!!!!!
- Previous by thread: Well, I gotta admit one thing: Their lies are inventive
- Next by thread: Remember the story about the NYC sanitation workers who said they were ordered to slow down work on snow removal?? TURNS OUT THE STORY WAS A LIE -- SPREAD BY A REPUBLICAN COUNCILMAN!!!!!