FL - Taking back the streets!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-flbroyal0823sbaug23,0,4867186.story

Taking back the streets
August 23, 2008

Hollywood - Leaders of a crime-plagued neighborhood near downtown are
tired of talk and task forces. Instead, they're taking up arms and
preparing to become a "lock and loaded" community.

Members of the Royal Poinciana Civic Association say they want to
start working with a Texas-based gun-rights organization and a local
weapons-training academy to verse residents on gun laws and
self-protection.

"It is unfortunate, but it really has come down to this," said the
association's president, Jack David, whose neighborhood is surrounded
by cheap motels, slum apartment buildings and a large cluster of
social service agencies.

In April, shortly after a Sun Sentinel article detailed the
community's woes, city officials created a task force to look at the
problems in Royal Poinciana and nearby Park Side, south of Young
Circle.

City officials say the task force has led to some progress, but at its
most recent meeting Wednesday, residents' frustration boiled over.

First, residents distributed a flier with the picture of a badly
beaten Robin Mejias, 37, who told Hollywood police she was mugged
while walking through the neighborhood on Sunday morning. The flier
read "All-American Victim," mocking the city's recent All-America City
award.

Then group leaders reiterated a controversial demand to combine all
the area's agencies ? including the COSAC Foundation homeless shelter,
several drug rehab centers and a soup kitchen ? into a locked compound
near the edge of the neighborhood.

"It's your people that are walking around our neighborhood committing
all these crimes," yelled one resident at homeless shelter director
Sean Cononie, who was in attendance.

"What you are suggesting is putting people behind walls and that's
un-Christian-like, it's un-Jewish like, it's completely inhuman and
unacceptable," Cononie fired back.

The tense exchange ended with Commissioner Beam Furr saying he'll
schedule another meeting to seek common ground and positive solutions.
Among other things, the task force has discussed placing tighter
regulations on the motels, offering incentives to motel and apartment
owners to fix up their places and expanding a police street crimes
unit that has already made 653 arrests in Royal Poinciana since
January.

But city and police officials have rejected the notion of stopping
people from walking around the neighborhood and forming a walled-in
complex.

After the meeting, Royal Poinciana leaders said they're moving ahead
with plans to become an armed community. If members give formal
approval on Sept. 4, the group will apply for grants to help pay for
weapons training and to purchase warning signs, said activist Norm
Berube, who bought a Glock a month ago.

"Almost all of us are already armed," he said. "It's now a matter of
letting everyone know we're ready to do what we have to do to protect
ourselves."

A number of residents have already signed up for courses at the 911
Store in Hollywood, a weapons shop and training center. The group has
also been in contact with the Texas-based Second Amendment Sisters to
teach them about gun laws, said David.

Police Chief Chad Wagner, a task force member, said the neighborhood
has the right to arm itself, but he's concerned about creating a
dangerous situation.

"I am strong advocate of the Second Amendment, but you can go from
being a victim to someone being prosecuted very easily," he said. "My
fear is that someone is going to get into trouble, or hurt."

Ivy Rivello, 46, has lived in the neighborhood for three years. She
said she's no longer waiting for the city or police to solve problems.
A waitress who lives alone, Rivello recently purchased a handgun so
she could feel safe.

"I never imagined I would be a grandmother with a gun," she said.

  • poor jews suffer from stone attacks
    ... the Nof Tzion neighborhood in eastern Jerusalem has been plagued with recurring stone attacks carried out by Arabs from the neighboring Jabel Mukaber. ... The neighborhood's Jewish residents have approached the police about the issue numerous times, but the police have been unable to gain control of the situation. ...
    (soc.culture.israel)
  • Re: 3X "call Zimmerman" in the neighborhood newsletter. He was "the watch Captain"
    ... You would have learned that the Sanford Police Department had just announced an increased patrol in the neighborhood, with more patrol cars rolling through, as well as stepped-up bike patrols of front and backyards. ... If you had been the victim of a recent crime, you would have been advised to call the police -- and then to call the neighborhood watch captain, George Zimmerman. ... association to residents in February, the same month as the shooting. ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: fuck off to the relevant newsgroup
    ... they're taking up arms and preparing to become ... a "lock and loaded" community. ... through the neighborhood on Sunday morning. ... the task force has discussed placing tighter ...
    (uk.politics.misc)
  • Re: OT: Its now illegal to annoy. Thats right, Federal law says Thou Shalt Not Annoy
    ... >A note for those outside the USA: Move into a new neighborhood there ... nuisance neighbours under Tony Blair's latest "respect agenda" ... local police on anti-social behaviour. ... Mr Blair set up a "respect" task force last year and the plans are the ...
    (misc.survivalism)
  • Re: OT : Anti-Gun Morons, Beaten Down ... Again
    ... So, we have emptied out the mental hospitals, we have more people ... At least 40 people were shot over the weekend across Chicago, ... Englewood neighborhood, police said. ... Halsted Street in the Back of the Yards neighborhood. ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)