New Law Eliminates Waiting Period For Gun In Missouri

http://www.myfoxstl.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=4190748&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

New Law Eliminates Waiting Period For Gun In Missouri
Monday, 27 Aug 2007

(KTVI-myFOXstl.com) --
A new Missouri law makes it faster and easier than ever to get a gun. Backers say it just cuts through red tape. Gun control advocates say it's not a huge change, but believe lawmakers should have spent taxpayer dollars making more important revisions.

"Let's say there's a person who has an issue where they're in fear for their life and they need to get a gun fairly quickly," says Michael Meyer, of the St. Louis Association of Firearms Training Instructors. "If they had to wait ten days, that may be too late."

Now when you walk in a gun store, you can walk out with a gun, in minutes not days.

"It makes it fair as far as protection," Meyer says. "You won't be a victim."

Meyer says the law change does not mean Missouri is going soft on gun control, but simply cutting through red tape, and a duplication of background checks.

Gun buyers used to be required to fill out paperwork at their sheriffs offices. The sheriffs would do a background check, and issue a permit a week or so later. Meyer says gun dealers would then do the same FBI background check.

Now the dealer is the only stop. Once they complete the FBI background check, which consists a phone call from the dealer and usually takes minutes, the buyer can legally purchase a gun.

"We're not eliminating any background check, we're just speeding them up," Meyer says.

People who oppose the concealed carry law say this isn't huge, but it does make getting a gun faster, which they say isn't necessarily better.

What would be better, says Stacey Newman, of the Executive Director of the Missouri Women's Coalition, is lawmakers working harder to keep guns away from criminals and kids.

"We need to make it tougher for those that are minors to obtain weapons," Newman says. "This
technically doesn't aid that, but I think we can obviously do much better."

Meyer says this law won't mean more criminals committing gun crimes.

"Criminals will always have access to guns illegally," he maintains.

Newman says, "I don't think this is a major change, but I also believe it's a waste of taxpayer money. It makes me angry that we're not focusing on the true values of protecting people and helping people."

  • Re: OT~And the idiocy continues
    ... TechmindcallyBent seems to want lotsa pasted 'Gun Ownership' stuff ... For an area of constitutional law which has received so little modern ... Moreover what the "Right to keep and bear arms" meant to the Founding ... Subcommittee of the Constitution is ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: PK says Oink!
    ... Valley -- that is quick to break out a knife or a gun or a broken beer ... is not against the law. ... dangerous as firing a gun. ... my cat, help my wife with her homework, or post to USENET. ...
    (soc.men)
  • Dave Kopels Second Amendment Newsletter December 16, 2008
    ... Dave Kopel's Second Amendment Project is based at the Independence ... Law Review Articles on Articles on Judge Wilkinson's Criticism of Heller, and Pacifism; Newspaper and Magazine treatments of the Media and Violence, Plaxico Burress, de-facto gun bans, the election, and 'Beware the Rahm!'; Blogs on Eric Holder and the Election; Video and Audio on the surge in firearms sales, the Constitution, and local politics, and... ... Egyptian Gun Law; Mumbai; Irish Semi-Auto Handgun ...
    (talk.politics.guns)
  • Re: Yet Another NRA ad
    ... gun or no gun. ... Because of a handful of wingnuts you would deprive millions of law ... Gun Ownership - It's The Law In Kennesaw ... Then-councilman J.O. Stephenson said after the ordinance was passed, ...
    (talk.politics.guns)
  • Dave Kopels Second Amendment Newsletter - February 10, 2009
    ... Dave Kopel's Second Amendment Project is based at the Independence ... Amicus brief in Oak Park Case; Law Review Articles on the Relationship between Guns and Freedom; Magazine articles and short essays on the new administration, 'BEWARE THE RAHM!,' Eric Holder, The Sword & the Tome, the SHOT Show, Kmiec v. Kmiec, IANSA Strikes Again, a new Podcast Series, one on Holder, one on Hillary Clinton, and... ... Armed Nepalese; Pakistani Self-Defense; Uruguayan Gun Control ...
    (talk.politics.guns)