Army now recruiting autistic kids

Because the Bush twins and children of all the other rightwing chickenhawks
are following their father's examples and avoiding military service, the
Army is now reduced to recruiting autistic 18-year-olds.

In fact, the pressure to find recruits is so great, recruiters are bringing
in recruits who would not have been accepted a few months ago -- as a result
"Last year, the Army relieved 44 recruiters from duty and admonished 369."

Why aren't they recruiting College Republicans??

QUOTE

Recruiting Abuses Mount as Army Struggles to Meet Goals

BY MICHELLE ROBERTS
c.2006 Newhouse News Service

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Jared Guinther is 18. Tall and lanky, he will graduate
from high school in June. Girls think he's cute, until they try to talk to
him and he stammers or just stands there -- silent.

Diagnosed with autism at age 3, Jared is polite but won't talk to people
unless they address him first. It's hard for him to make friends. He lives
in his own private world.

Jared didn't know there was a war raging in Iraq until his parents told him
last fall -- shortly after a military recruiter stopped him outside a
Portland strip mall and complimented his black Converse All-Stars.

"When Jared first started talking about joining the Army, I thought, `Well,
that isn't going to happen,"' said Paul Guinther, Jared's father. "I told my
wife not to worry about it. They're not going to take anybody in the service
who's autistic."

But they did. Last month, Jared came home with papers showing that he had
not only enlisted, but signed up for the Army's most dangerous job: cavalry
scout. He is scheduled to leave for basic training Aug. 16.

Officials are now investigating whether recruiters at the U.S. Army
Recruiting Station in southeast Portland improperly concealed Jared's
disability, which should have made him ineligible for service.

What happened to Jared is a growing national problem as the military faces
increasing pressure to hit recruiting targets during an unpopular war.

Tracking by the Pentagon shows that complaints about recruiting
improprieties are on pace to again reach record highs set in 2003 and 2004.
Both the active Army and Reserve missed recruiting targets last year, and
reports of recruiting abuses continue from across the country.

A family in Ohio reported that its mentally ill son was signed up, despite
rules banning such enlistments and the fact that records about his illness
were readily available.

In Houston, a recruiter warned a potential enlistee that if he backed out of
a meeting he'd be arrested.

And in Colorado, a high school student working undercover told recruiters
he'd dropped out and had a drug problem. The recruiter told the boy to fake
a diploma and buy a product to help him beat a drug test.

Violations such as these forced the Army to halt recruiting for a day last
May so recruiters could be retrained and reminded of the job's ethical
requirements.

The Portland Army Recruiting Battalion Headquarters opened its investigation
into Jared's case last week after his parents called The Oregonian and the
newspaper began asking questions about his enlistment.

Maj. Curt Steinagel, commander of the Military Entrance Processing Station
in Portland, said the papers filled out by Jared's recruiters contained no
indication of his disability. Steinagel acknowledged that the current
climate is tough on recruiters.

"I can't speak for Army," he said, "but it's no secret that recruiters
stretch and bend the rules because of all the pressure they're under. The
problem exists, and we all know it exists."

* * *

Jared lives in a tiny brown house in southeast Portland that looks as worn
out as his parents do when they get home from work.

Paul Guinther, 57, labors 50- to 60-hour weeks as a painter-sandblaster at a
tug and barge works. His wife, Brenda, 50, has the graveyard housekeeping
shift at a medical center.

The couple got together nearly 16 years ago when Jared was 3. Brenda, who
had two young children of her own, immediately noticed that Jared was
different and pushed Paul to have the boy tested.

"Jared would play with buttons for hours on end," she said. "He'd play with
one toy for days. Loud noises bothered him. He was scared to death of the
toilet flushing, the lawn mower."

Jared didn't speak until he was almost 4 and could not tolerate the feel of
grass on his feet.

Doctors diagnosed him with moderate to severe autism, a developmental
disorder that strikes when children are toddlers. It causes problems with
social interaction, language and intelligence. No one knows its cause or
cure.

School and medical records show that Jared, whose recent verbal IQ tested
very low, spent years in special education classes. It was only as a high
school senior that Brenda pushed for Jared to take regular classes because
she wanted him to get a normal rather than a modified diploma.

Jared required extensive tutoring and accommodations to pass, but in June he
will graduate alongside his younger stepbrother, Matthew Thorsen.

Last fall, Jared began talking about joining the military after a recruiter
stopped him on his way home from school and offered a $4,000 signing bonus,
$67,000 for college and more buddies than he could count.

Matthew told his mother that military recruiting at the school and
surrounding neighborhoods was so intense that one recruiter had pulled him
out of football practice.

Recruiters nationwide spend several hours a day cold-calling high school
students, whose phone numbers are provided by schools under the No Child
Left Behind Law. They also prospect at malls, high school cafeterias,
colleges and wherever else young people gather.

Brenda phoned her two brothers, both veterans. She said they laughed and
told her not to worry. The military would never take Jared.

The Guinthers, meanwhile, tried to refocus their son.

"I told him, `Jared, you get out of high school. I know you don't want to be
a janitor all your life. You work this job, you go to community college, you
find out what you want. You can live here as long as you want,"' Paul said.

They thought it had worked until five weeks ago. Brenda said she called
Jared on his cell phone to check what time he'd be home.

"I said Jared, `What are you doing?' `I'm taking the test' -- he said the
entrance test. I go, `Wait a minute.' I said, `Who's giving you the test?'
He said, `Corporal.' I said, `Well let me talk to him."'

Brenda said she spoke to Cpl. Ronan Ansley and explained that Jared had a
disability, autism, that could not be outgrown. She said Ansley told her he
had been in special classes, too -- for dyslexia.

"I said, `Wait a minute, there's a big difference between autism and your
problem,"' Brenda said.

Military rules prohibit enlisting anyone with a mental disorder that
interferes with school or employment, unless a recruit can show he or she
hasn't required special academic or job accommodations for 12 months.

Jared has been in special education classes since preschool. Through a
special program for disabled workers, he has a part-time job scrubbing
toilets and dumping trash.

Jared scored 43 out of 99 on the Army's basic entrance exam -- 31 is lowest
grade the Army allows for enlistment, military officials said.

After learning Jared had cleared this first hurdle toward enlistment, Brenda
said she called and asked for Ansley's supervisor and got Sgt. Alejandro
Velasco.

She said she begged Velasco to review Jared's medical and school records.
Brenda said Velasco declined, asserting that he didn't need any paperwork.
Under military rules, recruiters are required to gather all available
information about a recruit and fill out a medical screening form.

"He was real cocky and he says, `Well, Jared's an 18-year-old man. He
doesn't need his mommy to make his decisions for him."'

* * *

The Guinthers are not political activists. They supported the Iraq war in
the beginning but have started to question it as fighting drags on. Brenda
Guinther said that if her son Matthew had enlisted, she "wouldn't like it,
but I would learn to live with it because I know he would understand the
consequences."

But Jared doesn't understand the dangers or the details of what he's done,
the Guinthers said.

When they asked Jared how long he would be in the Army, he said he didn't
know. His enlistment papers show it's just over four years. Jared also was
disappointed to learn that he wouldn't be paid the $4,000 signing bonus
until after basic training.

During a recent family gathering, a relative asked Jared what he would do if
an enemy was shooting at him. Jared ran to his video game console, killed a
digital Xbox soldier and announced, "See! I can do it!"

"My concern is that if he got into a combat situation he really couldn't
take someone's back," said Mary Lou Perry, 51, longtime friend of the
Guinthers. "He wouldn't really know a dangerous thing. This job they have
him doing, it's like send him in and if he doesn't get blown up, it's safe
for the rest of us."

Steinagel, the processing station commander, told The Oregonian that Jared
showed up after passing his written exam. None of his paperwork indicated
that he was autistic, but if it had, Jared almost certainly would have been
disqualified, he said.

On Tuesday, a reporter visited the U.S. Army Recruiting Station at the
Eastport Plaza Shopping Center, where Velasco said he had not been told
about Jared's autism.

"Cpl. Ansley is Guinther's recruiter," he said. "I was unaware of any type
of autism or anything like that."

Velasco initially denied knowing Jared, but later said he'd spent a lot of
time mentoring him because Jared was going to become a cavalry scout. The
job entails "engaging the enemy with anti-armor weapons and scout vehicles,"
according to an Army recruiting Web site.

After he'd spoken for a few moments, Velasco suddenly grabbed the reporter's
tape recorder and tried to tear out the tape, stopping only after the
reporter threatened to call the police.

With the Guinthers' permission, The Oregonian faxed Jared's medical records
to the U.S. Army Recruiting Battalion commander Lt. Col. David Carlton in
Portland, who on Wednesday ordered the investigation.

The Guinthers said that on Tuesday evening, Cpl. Ansley showed up at their
door. They said Ansley stated that he would probably lose his job and face
dishonorable discharge unless they could stop the newspaper's story.

Ansley, reached at his recruiting office Thursday, declined to comment for
this story.

S. Douglas Smith, spokesman for the U.S. Army Recruiting Command, in Fort
Knox, Ky., said he could not comment on specifics of the investigation in
Portland. But he defended the 8,200 recruiters working for the active Army
and Army Reserve.

Last year, the Army relieved 44 recruiters from duty and admonished 369.

"Everyone in recruiting is let down when one of our recruiters fails to
uphold the Army's and Recruiting Command's standards," Smith said.

The Guinthers are eager to hear whether the Army will release Jared from his
enlistment. Jared is disappointed he might not go because he thought the
recruiters were his friends, they said. But they're willing to accept that.

"If he went to Iraq and got hurt or killed," Paul Guinther said, "I couldn't
live with myself knowing I didn't try to stop it."

END QUOTE