Re: A few thoughts on Europe's "outrage" at US-run prisons in Eastern Europe.

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 18:45:47 GMT, Bert Byfield
<BertByfield@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> If the leadership of the EU countries is so interested in UN
>> regulations, etc, and the "right" way of doing things, why are they
>> expressing outrage at US-run prisons in EASTERN Europe? The Eastern
>
>They don't like global gangsters. They especially don't want global
>gangsters running prisons, since people are tortured in that sort of
>prison.

Could be because some suspects (Poland for example) are member states
in the Union. And some are applying for membership.

Older EU nationals have personal memories of WW2 and dictatorships, be
it Stalin, Hitler, Mussolini or Franco, and therefore we perhaps value
freedom, liberty and "right way" of doing things (be it freedom of
speech, right to a fair trial or whatever), more than your average
American. Because you have had these for so long and take for
granted, you no longer value them. And gladly surrender some of your
freedom and principles because of some "war" on terror.

Like it or not, because the US no longer sets an example, the EU has
the duty to hold moral high ground.

Mike

  • US operates secret nazi prison camps in democratic wars
    ... The Washington Post reported that the prisons are, or have been, ... democracies in Eastern Europe" since the system was set up after the ... The existence of secret CIA detention centers has long been claimed. ...
    (soc.culture.china)
  • Re: Spaghetti Bolognaise/Bolognese
    ... They don't have freedom, but they worship the word freedom. ... The Cold War was artificially perpetuated by the USA. ... While Americans represent about 5 percent of the world's ... The prisons are filled with nicer americans? ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Love in the Ruins of Democracy - The Greek Uprising of 2008
    ... that the idea of freedom is ... one thousand Anarchists spent New Year's Eve ... forsaking clubs and parties to gather outside prisons where their ... those who were alone and locked away, trading chants of solidarity ...
    (soc.culture.greek)
  • Re: Hey, Mitt, dont let the door hit you on the way out.
    ... We don't need more prisons, just make the whole country into ... secure in our homes and in our person. ... Either we should have weapons and freedom, ... I vote for keeping freedom and weapons. ...
    (rec.sport.golf)
  • Re: Hey, Mitt, dont let the door hit you on the way out.
    ... We don't need more prisons, just make the whole country into ... Security would also be happy to give up their right to be armed. ... secure in our homes and in our person. ... Either we should have weapons and freedom, ...
    (rec.sport.golf)