Haiti Quake Maybe Just a Prelude

By Julia Whitty
Wed Jan. 13, 2010 5:57 PM PST

The tragic intersection between poverty and nature that rent Haiti
yesterday may not be the end of its seismic troubles. Science Now
reports that yesterday's 7.0 temblor ruptured only a part of the same
segment that 240 years ago unleashed a 7.5 quake—20 times more
powerful than yesterday's.

Worse, the potential for even greater destruction exists. In 1751, a
magnitude 8.0—32 times yesterday's quake—struck farther along the same
fault system off the southern shore of the island of Hispaniola that
Haiti shares with the Dominican Republic. A couple of months after
that a magnitude 7.5 occurred nearby. Plus a separate active fault
crosses through the north coast of the island.

Scientists are concerned the long-sleeping Caribbean has now been
awakened.

Add to that the fact that Port-au-Prince is built on unstable
sediments not bedrock and that the city lacks any kind of building
code and you have a recipe for repeat disasters, and then some.

So can we at least try to include along with the "massive aid racing"
to Haiti some sober planning... maybe a "building code" to alleviate
the failed state in our own hemipshere? How about some genuine long-
term help to heal the bones of that country? Does Wyclef have to do it
all?

http://motherjones.com/blue-marble/2010/01/haiti-quake-maybe-just-prelude

Att'n California
"God is watching you."
-- Pat Robertson

  • Manhattan Island Worth More Than Louisiana Purchase?
    ... "Take the Canarsee natives, who, in 1626, traded for trinkets a now ... estimates Matthew Mondanile of Cushman & ... struggling to defend France's New World conquests, including Haiti, ... willing to relinquish the island, Napoleon offered to sell the entire ...
    (rec.sport.football.college)
  • Re: Three Carnival Cruise Ships to be sent to NO
    ... The world's "first independent black republic". ... The island where the slaves ... Please> Haiti is one of the poorest countries in the western hemisphere, ... Ummm...sounds like Africa to me. ...
    (rec.motorcycles.dirt)
  • Nothing is normal in Haiti
    ... Nothing is 'normal' in Haiti ... I have just returned from my fourth trip to the island of Hispaniola - ... Haiti is the poorest country in the ... The orphanage cares for more than 500 Haitian orphans, ...
    (soc.culture.haiti)
  • Re: Re: Re: Race Mixing Stupid
    ... governance by puppet administrations). ... Take a look at satellite photos of ... Haiti and the Dominican Republic. ... The island was once ruled by the French. ...
    (alt.politics)