Re: Tell me about anti-shake!

On 2011-12-01 23:30:33 +0000, PeterN said:

On 12/1/2011 5:43 PM, Pete A wrote:
On 2011-12-01 15:13:04 +0000, David Kerber said:
From what I've read in reviews, the newest ones come pretty close to
giving you their claimed 4 stops of stabilization. Mine gives me 2 with
no problem.

Sorry to snip your post this much.

OIS ratings are based on the old rule for 135 format that shutter speed
should be equal to or faster than 1/focal length. Many say this rule is
rubbish and is used only to support wild claims by manufacturers of the
products.

Those with steady hands and good technique can use much slower shutter
speeds than 1/f, I guess by about 2-stops. My hands are so shaky that I
have to use a rule of ten times faster than 1/f. I rely on OIS give me
back the 1/f rule, which is 3-stops of improvement. I need to experiment
further because I've used a 300 mm at 1/30s and had better than
"acceptably sharp" results, which I estimate to be 6-stops of improvement.

The effectiveness of OIS seems highly dependent on one's experience and
disposition. Perhaps I'm very lucky to have lenses that just happen to
easily correct my particular mode of camera shake.

AFIK, OIS compensates for pan and tilt (angular equivalents of yaw and
pitch), but cannot compensate for the rotary roll induced when actuating
the shutter. Roll is avoided by technique and is frequently overcome by
the deployment of continuous shooting mode - the second and subsequent
shots should show less roll than the first shot.

have you tried using a remote release? Unless you have very small hands, just hold it in whichever hand you are comfortable with and release with a small squeeze.

That's a good point. I always use a remote release with a tripod, but personally I don't have a problem will camera roll induced by pressing the shutter - I seem to have got that problem sorted a long time ago. So far, I've never used continuous shooting mode because I can rattle of frames fast enough for my needs by deft manipulation of the magic button, for lack of a better phrase!

.