Re: Cannonade

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 15:02:48 -0400, tony cooper <tony_cooper213@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
: On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 13:55:21 -0400, PeterN
: <peter.new@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
: >Perhaps "no soap radio" is a New York thing. The point is that is isn't
: >funny, but everybody but one laughs like mad. they are all in on the
: >joke, except for the one person who doesn't laugh.
: >
: ><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_soap_radio>
:
: Never heard of this before. Reading the Wiki article, though,
: indicates that it is a set-up thing requiring others in the group to
: be "insiders". There is no connection to the shaggy dog joke concept
: as far as I can tell.
:
: The only time I have ever been completely out-of-the-loop joke-wise
: was years ago at "Mr Kelly's" (a Chicago Rush Street nightclub) when
: my wife and I went to see a famous Jewish comedian*. The crowd was
: primarily Jewish, and many of the jokes were delivered with Yiddish
: punch lines.
:
: The Jews in the crowd would laugh, and then "translate" and pass along
: the translations to the goyim. We'd be laughing at a joke when the
: comedian was well into the next joke.
:
: *It's been years, and I can't remember if it was Shecky Greene,
: Jackie Mason, or Jack E. Leonard. "Famous Jewish comedians" covers
: almost all famous comedians.

The best, by far, was Benjamin Kubelsky.

Bob

  • Re: OT not PC, just funny
    ... Jeanne, Believe me, I understand how experience can take all the laugh ... keep the horror at bay by making it into a joke. ... Missy leaned into my ear and whispered "Groner Pitts." ... Nothing funny about knowing that we had ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: META: The Problem of Humour
    ... so the audience is fooled into being surprised by the punchline. ... We are less likely to laugh ... skip to the punch line sooner and get the joke overwith and move on. ... In written humour, misdirection is more important than timing: ...
    (rec.arts.comics.creative)
  • Re: OT not PC, just funny
    ... keep the horror at bay by making it into a joke. ... Missy leaned into my ear and whispered "Groner Pitts." ... Nothing funny about knowing that we had ... But somebody somewhere needs a sick laugh as ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: Cannonade
    ... except for the one person who doesn't laugh. ... There is no connection to the shaggy dog joke concept ... my wife and I went to see a famous Jewish comedian*. ... The Jews in the crowd would laugh, and then "translate" and pass along ...
    (alt.photography)