Re: gimp or photoshop?

On 01-06-09 23:11, ray wrote:
On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 18:46:53 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

On 01-06-09 18:17, ray wrote:
On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 17:18:38 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

On 31-05-09 21:28, ray wrote:

Really. You must not be very competent. I've never had to spend large
amounts of time to 'make Linux work'. It simply does. Latest example:
Horsecrap. Every linux install I have done has required a DL of video
drivers and in some cases trying several out before one would work to
the resolution of the screen I use. The resolution (pretty ordinary
these days) at 1680 x 1050 was not in the video sizes of Solaris,
Fedeora and Ubuntu installs, nor was an up to date Nvidia driver.

Didn't have any such issues with aforementioned install of Debian on the
eeepc - it all worked, right out of the box. Also no issues when I changed
to wide screen monitors on two other distros las year. You must be doing
something wrong - perhaps not using 'friendly' distributions.

Redhat and Ububtu are fairly friendly (on the surface), esp. the later.

Forget it. Linux as installed (from (at least) 3 different distros) will not recognize the Nvidia card on my gateway (which is 4 years old soon, so it's not like the card isn't 'known'). No excuse for this shoddy distro, never mind not saving something as basic as a screen setting.

The last try of Ubuntu was the closest I came to keeping a Linux install since Mandrake many years ago.

'nuff for me.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.