Re: Small Apertures and Neutral Density Filters

"Ken Hart" <kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

"Dudley Hanks" <hanks.dudley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I've noticed that many point-and-shoots have a minimum aperture of about
f-8. If a guy wanted to increase the depth of field beyond that provided
by this aperture, would a neutral density filter work?

My Canon A720 can be fitted with an adapter that will accept filters,
etc, so I'm wondering if a neutral density filter would increase the
depth-of-field, or whether it would just slow down the shutter.

Wondering,
Dudley

A neutral density filter will have no effect on the depth of field by
itself. Only the aperature setting will dtermine depth of field.
Obviously, if the ND filter causes the lens to open up, depth of field
will decrease.

So, a neutral density filter would be the tool to use if a guy wanted to
decrease the depth-of-field while maintaining a particular shutter speed?
Or, it would be used to maintain a particular aperture / shutter speed while
moving up an ISO range (perhaps to get a grainier appearance with faster
film)?

Seeing new possibilities,
Dudley

  • Re: Small Apertures and Neutral Density Filters
    ... My Canon A720 can be fitted with an adapter that will accept filters, etc, so I'm wondering if a neutral density filter would increase the depth-of-field, or whether it would just slow down the shutter. ... it would be used to maintain a particular aperture / shutter speed while moving up an ISO range? ... If you want a wide aperture & shallow DOF in bright daylight. ...
    (alt.photography)
  • Re: Small Apertures and Neutral Density Filters
    ... would a neutral density filter work? ... so I'm wondering if a neutral density filter would increase the ... it would be used to maintain a particular aperture / shutter speed ... If you want a long exposure in bright light to show motion or blur out ...
    (alt.photography)
  • Re: Small Apertures and Neutral Density Filters
    ... My Canon A720 can be fitted with an adapter that will accept filters, etc, so I'm wondering if a neutral density filter would increase the depth-of-field, or whether it would just slow down the shutter. ... it would be used to maintain a particular aperture / shutter speed while moving up an ISO range? ... I use it to increase exposure time to get a flat water surface. ...
    (alt.photography)
  • Re: Small Apertures and Neutral Density Filters
    ... so I'm wondering if a neutral density filter would increase the ... depth-of-field, or whether it would just slow down the shutter. ... The math is formidable, but basically if you fill the frame with someone's head, then step back and zoom till the frame is again filled with their head, the Dof will be unchanged. ... Provided you haven't changed the aperture, ...
    (alt.photography)
  • Re: Small Apertures and Neutral Density Filters
    ... so I'm wondering if a neutral density filter would increase the ... decrease the depth-of-field while maintaining a particular shutter speed? ... it would be used to maintain a particular aperture / shutter speed ... I use it to increase exposure time to get a flat water surface. ...
    (alt.photography)