Nikon lens question

Read the comments in the text "Jeroen". I am not interested in
showing off my most expensive posession. I prefer to get
high quality images.

From: "Jeroen Wenting" <jwenting at hornet dot demon dot nl>
Subject: Re: Nikon lens question
Date: Sunday, April 29, 2007 10:42 AM

"Frank Arthur" <Art@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:Om1Zh.19089$qB4.14831@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Double-Aces" <fishermans.cove@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:TPydnaIrGcICDanbnZ2dnUVZ_hKdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi everybody, perhaps someone can help me with this. I have a Nikon
80-200mm
Zoom with a 2.8 aperture. My lens is about 12 or 13 years old, but still
takes pristine pics. Nikon still makes this same lens with the
modification
of a tripod holder on the lens itself. I am doing some sports photography
and need the speed of this lens to freeze baseballs and my sons pitching
arm
in motion. The problem is that this lens is very heavy and can not be
tripod
mounted without the center of gravity being the mount point or the wobble
makes it useless. Nikon has no info because they want me to buy the new
lens. So my question is, can I buy some sort of aftermarket tripod collar
for this lens. It would be suitable for me to even mount the tripod mount
on
the zoom collar of the lens even if this made the lens a fixed 200mm
really
a 300mm with my digital SLR. If anybody knows, thanks.

Sell your 13year old lens and take the same dollars and buy a new Nikon
70-300mm S VR zoom lens. It is lightweight and easy to hold. It focusses
much
stupid advise from someone who doesn't know a professional level highend
lens from a consumer grade lowend one.
You're telling him to sell a BMW 5 series for a Lada because the Lada is
easier to park...

faster than your present lens and the slower f number will be made up for
with
the VR capability-especially for baseball.

More idiocy. He'll end up with shots containing moved players against a
stationary background. Not much use.

As far as "freezing" baseballs. That's not such a good idea. A blurred
ball imparts
the sense of motion.
Maybe, but a blurred player (which is what he'd get using your suggestions)
makes for a useless shot.

.