Re: Nikon Portrait Lenses

If you want one for portrait use the 105. Best lens made. Very sharp. On some women with skin problems you might want to use a soft-focus adapter with it.

Drew wrote:
I have a Nikon d50. The speed of the kit zoom lenses is very limiting. I would like to buy a fast lens for general available light pictures and portraits.

I am looking at two lenses:

1. AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D

2. AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D

Which would be a better portrait lens?
Which would be a better all around lens?

Thanks

Drew

  • Re: Are you 100% satisfied with any lens you own?
    ... OK but the longer shooting distance means a flatter apparent ... would explain their preference for a longer focal length. ... something twice as near sould be in the image, the longer the lens the ... can make a "stronger" portrait. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: D70, SB800 and Christmas Portraits
    ... It's cheap and one of the best lenses Nikon has ever made. ... The number one portrait lens is Nikon's ... >>> Going to be the photographer at the company Christmas party. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Nikon D200 Pictures: Rather sexy . . .
    ... just 'hardware bashing'.. ... Rita>Here is a shot emphasizing a spider's face ... your lens, and it *is* just my opinion, and I'll happily admit that I ... Nikon range - is it promoted as more of a macro lens, or a portrait ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Minimum F-Stop for portrait work
    ... I'm getting close to purchasing my first Canon L series lens for portrait ... the focal length previously considered in 35 mm circles to be a "portrait lens" is too long for digital with a 1.6 crop factor. ... You can get a similar effect by lightly sandblasting a filter. ...
    (rec.photo.digital.slr-systems)
  • Re: Are you 100% satisfied with any lens you own?
    ... can make a "stronger" portrait. ... routinely used a 300mm lens for doing head-and-shoulders shots of girls at ... Owning the Tamron means one less lens to carry. ... I have the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro myself, ...
    (rec.photo.digital)