Looking for free paint program with clone feature

I have a number of high school graduation black and white jpg photos scanned from yearbooks that have handwritten autographs across the faces that I want to remove. MSPaint does the job, but I have to guess at the shade of gray, and since the photos have a wide range of grays, this is tedious. It would be nice if I could just right-click on the area next to the writing and have this color become the brush fill color.

I've tried Paint25, but I'm not happy with it. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Ray
.