Re: Lens D70

Get the kit lens & a 50mm f/1.4

Carl Beason wrote:

Guys, Guiys!! Confine your recommendations to the $400 range. I love you but my budget don't.

Carlo
"Paul Furman" <paul-@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:m5ednQW6cov1cvXeRVn-ig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Richard H. wrote:

Paul Furman wrote:

The only other problem is if you want to get wider than that, there aren't many options and the 12-24 would be too similar, yet not long enough for general use like the 17-35.

But the 17mm lens would be cropped to 25mm at its widest angle. Why not the 18-70mm DX-format ED lens that comes with the D70s kit? Where does this lens fail in quality? (Really, I'm interested.)

Hmm, maybe not much, here's the three options I see. It looks like people prefer the 17-55 as an option but yes the 18-70 is hard to turn down.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1735.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1755.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1870.htm
This guy doesn't see the point in spending more but that was the OP's question if there were other options. Most obviously, it's f/2.8 throughout it's range vs f/3.5-4.5 and looks good wide open. I disagree with the review that the added f/stop is not useful or that high ISO compensation is a great way to overcome that.

Here's another reviewer:
http://www.bythom.com/1735lens.htm
http://www.bythom.com/1755lens.htm
http://www.bythom.com/1870lens.htm
the 18-70 has a 7 blade aperture vs 9 blades
the 18-70 has some vignetting and geometric distortion

Another thought... the 18-35 would have a useful companion in an inexpensive 50mm/1.4 <g>.

I'm not too keen on DX lenses, but on the wide angle you practically have to because of the 1.5x cropping effect. On the financial front, buying as a bundle helps too.

-- Paul Furman http://www.edgehill.net/1 Bay Natives http://www.baynatives.com .

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Lens D70
    ... Why not the 18-70mm DX-format ED lens that comes with the D70s kit? ... I disagree with the review that the added f/stop is not useful or that high ISO compensation is a great way to overcome that. ... http://www.bythom.com/1735lens.htm http://www.bythom.com/1755lens.htm http://www.bythom.com/1870lens.htm the 18-70 has a 7 blade aperture vs 9 blades ...
    (alt.photography)
  • Re: exif hacking Lens data
    ... Paul Furman wrote: ... I was doing this to get Lightroom to work with the data but the lens is apparently in the semi-proprietary Maker Notes or some such, at least for Nikon and there are plenty of ways this can get hosed when editing in PS, LR, etc. ... Or if your whole folder matches, drag a copy of the bat file in there. ... I checked out some other programs too, exiftool command line is the only one that'll do lens name. ...
    (rec.photo.digital.slr-systems)
  • Re: Lens Reversing Ring ??
    ... Paul Furman wrote: ... better than a 2x teleconverter plus a +2 diopter closeup ... I thin the closeup lens doesn't add much at this point, ... In fact I compared side by side with the tests of the teleconverter plus diopter thing and those are much sharper than the reversed 45 on front of the 105 even scaled down to the same magnification it has much less detail. ...
    (rec.photo.digital.slr-systems)
  • Re: The eye and the lens
    ... "Paul Furman" wrote in message ... Now hold an empty 8x10 frame at arm's length like a movie director framing a shot and you'll see the relevance of a normal field of view. ... Also, the normal lens for a given format can be loosely defined as the diagonal of the sensor/film, so for 35mm the diagonal is about 45mm, for large format, it's proportionally larger, etc. ... I don't know whether I was clear enough but I wasn't referring to field of view, which I understand is much wider with the naked eye that even with a 24mm lens. ...
    (rec.photo.digital.slr-systems)
  • Re: Strange B&H shopping cart handling...
    ... Paul Furman wrote ... When I returned, my session had timed out, so I log ... and it tells me that the lens has been removed from my ... Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR) ...
    (rec.photo.digital.slr-systems)