Re: Best Film for Night Photography?

"Richard H." <rh86@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:_k0Ze.49984$ct5.26877@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> eaglesclaw wrote:
>> Kodak Max 800 speed?
>
> The are two questions here - the speed of the film, and the type of film.
> In short, yes, this film will work OK.
>
> Speed of the film won't matter much if you're taking long exposures, since
> you won't be freezing motion anyway. If you want to freeze motion in low
> light, then 800-speed may be useful. (Keep in mind that at 300mm, you
> need to shoot faster than 1/300 to avoid blur.) If not, go for a longer
> exposure time and get a better quality (less grainy) image by using a 100
> or 200 film - it will also cause anomalies (like car lights) to imprint
> less on the film.
>
> As for the type of film, Kodak Gold or Max are fine for general use. As a
> more advanced topic, there are others that have different sensitivities
> (e.g., different color saturation / sensitivity for different types of
> subjects). This is a fine-tuning point that I'd suggest tackling later.
>
> Richard

I agree with Richard, High ISO film will lead to grainy images. Use a good
"Pro" ISO100 or 50 and a good tripod. Also, what you are shooting and, How
you want it too look will also dictate what your shutter speed will need to
be and then based on the available light, Depth of field etc.. you can come
up with an exposure setting that will work for the results you want.

If you are shooting a bridge or a building then your exposure time can be as
long as it needs to be. If you are shooting people, well people have a
limited amount of time they can stand still. Any moving object you are
shooting you will have to think about how it moves in a given amount of time
and compute your exposure based on that.

Please, tell us what you are up to....

.