Re: Help! Puter keeps freezing up

"GuppyPilot" <reserve.scum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:nbwzq.50813$zC6.48686@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
My computer has been freezing up lately. Usually, the mouse cursor
continues to move for a minute, but can't actually select or launch
anything. Then the mouse freezes. Then I have to reset. It's
particularly likely to happen while installing new software from CD.

Symptoms seemed to get worse after I installed a new Sony SATA DVD
drive. Unplugging the DVD drive didn't seem to have much impact, however.

I tried a new hard drive (Seagate 500Gb SATA). No change. I always
install my OS from scratch, not duplicating the old drive.

System config: Machspeed motherboard/AMD 3.11GHz CPU. They came bundled
together with CPU fan, so I figured they'd be well-matched. 2Gigs memory
on one 240 pin chip. Kensington, I think. Obsolete Diamond AGP video
card. Maybe it's time for a new card, but I hate replacing things that
still work.

Windows XP installed from SP1 disk, upgraded to SP2 then SP3.

Let me know what you think.. Thanks!

Change the batteries in your mouse?

  • Help! Puter keeps freezing up
    ... particularly likely to happen while installing new software from CD. ... Symptoms seemed to get worse after I installed a new Sony SATA DVD ... together with CPU fan, so I figured they'd be well-matched. ... Maybe it's time for a new card, but I hate replacing things that ...
    (alt.os.windows-xp)
  • Help! Puter keeps freezing!
    ... particularly likely to happen while installing new software from CD. ... Symptoms seemed to get worse after I installed a new Sony SATA DVD ... together with CPU fan, so I figured they'd be well-matched. ... Maybe it's time for a new card, but I hate replacing things that ...
  • Re: Help! Puter keeps freezing up
    ... particularly likely to happen while installing new software from CD. ... Symptoms seemed to get worse after I installed a new Sony SATA DVD ... together with CPU fan, so I figured they'd be well-matched. ... Maybe it's time for a new card, but I hate replacing things that ...
    (alt.os.windows-xp)
  • Getting Radio/TV on Debian.
    ... success so far installing it in my Debian m/c running Sid,currently ... The card is a Prolink Pixelview Play TV Pak modelPV-Bt878P+ Rev4E ... Inserting the bttv module using parameters indicated in the bttv ... 00:02.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems SiS7001 USB ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Live TV messed up
    ... Installed the new PVR 150 tuner card and live tv is working fine. ... is comparible to the ATI 550 TV Theater Pro card. ... I have high hopes that installing it will cure the problem! ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)