Re: Need Help with XP Problem

On Feb 22, 12:40 pm, "relic" <rel...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Reactor wrote:
Hi All,

My Windows XP Machine will not boot.  It tells me that the file
windows \system32\config\system file is missing or corrupt.

I realize that this is likely a registry problem, and I have tried
everything I can find on the net to resolve this.  The strange thing

Did you try Microsoft.com?

is that no matter what I do, Windows does not see my hard drive. So I
can't install, re-install, or repair windows.  Even in the system
recovery console, every partition that I choose is "not valid, or
there is no disk in the drive".

I am running a SATA hard drive and everything is connected properly.
I have backed up all my data using a HD enclosure, but I'd prefer not
to have to reinstall a ton of applications, etc. as I need this
machine up and running as it was as soon as possible.

Any ideas?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Thanks for your response. I tried everything I could find on MS,
including the link you provided. The thing is, Windows tells me that
every single drive letter is invalid or does not have a disk (floppy
or CD) installed. So Windows can't figure out what to repair or where
to install.

  • Re: Computer Infected:
    ... Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition ... Dell Application – Backup Dell installed programs, ... SeagateDisk Utility ... You do NOT want to do a Repair or Recovery install. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: xp on intel Mac from usb stick?
    ... Would it be possible to run windows xp native from a usb stick? ... A custom slipstreamed CD is required to install XP on a Mac. ... partition managers but if you're feeling adventurous you may ... This procedure WILL WIPE YOUR iMAC DISK CLEAN. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)
  • Re: sfc /scannow
    ... a clean install from that slipstreamed cd ... work with a PE disk instead. ... push windows o.s. ... winxp home version. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Problem with disk upgrade of Windows XP Pro
    ... Failure to install the required service packs and install the ... > disk beyond 137 Gigabytes. ... For more information regarding Windows ... There is no risk of data loss in the situation as described by the OP. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Reverting from Vista to XP
    ... I successfully created the slipstream disk and WinXP installed on the first ... CTRL-ALT-DEL then end process, the whole windows task ... Once you create this CD use it to do a fresh/clean install ... You will also need SP1 or SP2 for Windows XP to support drives larger than ...