Re: Open With Options

Steve wrote:

I currently have Firefox as my default browser but there are certain times
that I require to open certain things in IE7.

Previously when I have wanted to do this I simply right clicked on the
html file and selected "Open with" .......

Under recommended programs there is Firefox but Internet Explorer is no
longer present.

Have you changed the "program access" profile in control panel/software?
You may re-enable IE showing up, or do a repair install of IE which will as
well do it for you.

Even selecting browse and pointing it to C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\iexplore.exe does not work.

Usually this lets me select the like of iexplore.exe and it places it into
the list of "open with" programs. I then leave the "always use" check box
empty and open the file this way.

Since windows uses the extension to link to a application, from then on
_all_ html files will be associated with IE. Well, when opened from within
firefox, that program may have another "opinion" still :)
I suggest you install the IE addon to firefox, which allows you to open
sites from within FF, with using the IE engine.

Btw. <rant on/> I did NOT manage to let IE7 on a vista install open Yahoo
games (java), even after adding the site to the trusted zone, setting
security slider for trusted zone to low and disabling "advanced security
configuration" which gives headaches after all. The game window
says "ready" without opening the java app. Yes, reinstalling the latest
java from the sun site didn't help IE, neither did cleaning all
cache/offline, cookies and whatever else.
There may be some weird interaction with a kaspersky security suite
installed on the box, but even (temporarily) pausing protection does not
change anything.
Fortunately, no such problem with Firefox - it "just works" as desired.
</rant>

  • Re: Off-topic: IE7 problems
    ... always "my system" that's screwing up, never the new program I install. ... compete with FireFox. ... If your browser is working fine, ... NOT install IE7. ...
    (alt.cellular.verizon)
  • Re: How can I install mozilla firefox opn Debian6 Squeeze
    ... a an html file from browser and open it again it shows the address like ... Do you know how to install it. ... allready download mozilla firefox and untar it. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • IE7 crawls after SP3 Update
    ... I have both IE7 and Firefox 2 and Firefox is normal. ... So I did a repair install using a slipstreamed XP SP3 CD which did not ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: OT: IE7 - its here
    ... firewall) as it tried to install some updates & other shit. ... I've used both IE7 & Firefox, ...
    (uk.games.video.xbox)
  • Re: Vista 64 and IE7 problem
    ... Firefox isn't my favorite. ... used IE7 in XP and these sites DO NOT have the problem in IE7 on XP so what ... I wasn't sure about Vista but heard so many good things about it now ... The install was a clean install with nothing more than Vista, ...