Re: Another XP Question

Lupine Predator wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 16:47:06 -0700, "relic" <bogus.relic2@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

Lupine Predator wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 10:03:31 -0700, "chrisv" <chrisv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Lupine Predator wrote:
Regarding a laptop.

I have the same computer here that I had issues getting Windows
installed on. The guy who owns this thing wants to have the
"Standby" function enabled. I know, I know, don't even start with
the freakin' flames, okay? It's a laptop, why would you want
standby mode? Not my 'puter, and I'm just doing what the guy
asked. But...

The issue is, when I go into power management, I have no options,
anywhere, to enable standby mode on this thing. Now, apparently,
Windows detected that this is indeed a laptop, as that's what the
OS configured itself for.

Question is this: Can I enable Standby on this thing? The last
laptop this guy had, he swears it had standby options enabled.
This one, I can't find it anywhere. As far as I can tell the
knowledgebase as MS doesn't address it specifically for laptops.

This is a Dell Inspiron 1720 running Windows XP Pro. Corp.

BIOS, ACPI enabled?

There is no option anywhere in the BIOS to enable or disable ACPI...

Dell may hide it from you in BIOS. Look in Device Manager at your
"Computer" is it 'Standard' or 'ACPI'?

It says it's ACPI Multiprocessor PC.

OK, in Control Panel, Power Options, "Scheme" set right?

Read this thread:
http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=868037

  • Re: Another XP Question
    ... "Standby" function enabled. ... Windows detected that this is indeed a laptop, ... They haven't built machine without that for years. ...
    (alt.os.windows-xp)
  • Re: Backlight mystery - anyone shed light? some progress
    ... fixed after updating to the latest BIOS. ... I found a lot of people using the same laptop with ... Windows who have the same problem. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: CompactFlash IDE - not recognized
    ... I hate to tell you, but you've posted to a Windows CE, not Windows XP ... replace the laptop harddrive with. ... I am using a 44-pin CF/IDE adapter I picked up on the internet. ... into the old laptop the BIOS doesn't see it and thus ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)
  • Re: Breathing New Life Into An Old Laptop
    ... If you wonder why I'm using an older laptop, ... It has Windows 7 Professional, which is really just Windows 8 with a ... Can you get into the BIOS? ... Does it give a boot failure, ...
    (alt.2600)
  • Re: Another XP Question
    ... "Standby" function enabled. ... Windows detected that this is indeed a laptop, ... There is no option anywhere in the BIOS to enable or disable ACPI... ...
    (alt.os.windows-xp)