Re: When do you see a rheumatologist and when do you see a Neurologist?

Here's some info on the differentces. Hope this helps.

Taken from:
http://www.allaboutnph.com/content/Article-neuros.htm

What is a Neurologist?

A neurologist is a medical doctor with specialized training in diagnosing,
treating and managing disorders of the brain and nervous system. Pediatric
neurologists
are doctors with specialized training in children's neurological disorders.
A neurologist's educational background and medical training includes an
undergraduate
degree, four years of medical school, a one-year internship and three years
of specialized training. Many neurologists also have additional training in
one area of neurology such as stroke, epilepsy or movement disorders.

What is the role of a Neurologist?

Neurologists are principal care providers or consultants to other
physicians. When a patient has a neurological disorder that requires
frequent care, a
neurologist is often the principal care provider. Patients with disorders
such as Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease or multiple sclerosis may
use
a neurologist as their principal care physician In a consulting role, a
neurologist will diagnose and treat a neurological disorder and then advise
the
primary care physician managing the patient's overall health. For example, a
neurologist would act in a consulting role for conditions such as stroke,
concussion or headache. Neurologists can recommend surgical treatment, but
do not perform surgery. When treatment includes surgery, neurologists will
monitor
surgically treated patients and supervise their continuing treatment.
Neurosurgeons are medical doctors who specialize in performing surgical
treatments
of the brain or nervous system.

What does a Neurologist treat?

Neurologists treat disorders of the nervous system, brain, spinal cord,
nerves, muscles and pain. Common neurological disorders include: stroke,
Alzheimer's
disease, headache, epilepsy, Parkinson's disease, sleep disorders, multiple
sclerosis, pain, tremor, brain and spinal cord injuries, brain tumors,
peripheral
nervous disorders and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.

How are neurological disorders treated?

Many disorders can be treated. Treatment or symptomatic relief is different
for each condition. To find treatment options, neurologists will perform and
interpret tests of the brain or nervous system. Treatment can help patients
with neurological disorders maintain the best possible quality of life.

What is a neurological examination?

During a neurological examination, the neurologist reviews the patient's
health history with special attention to the current condition. The patient
then
takes a neurological exam. Typically, the exam tests vision, strength,
coordination, reflexes and sensation. This information helps the neurologist
determine
if the problem is in the nervous system. Further tests may be needed to
confirm a diagnosis or find a specific treatment.

Why do patients need a neurological examination?

An examination is used when a family doctor seeks a specialized opinion
about a patient whose symptoms may involve the brain or nervous system. The
examination
may also be performed when a patient wants a second opinion from a
neurologist. The neurologist's expertise in disorders of the brain and
nervous system
can give patients effective diagnosis and treatment for neurological
disorders.

Taken from:
http://www.rheumatology.org/public/rheumatologist.asp?aud=prs

What is a Rheumatologist?

A rheumatologist is an internist or pediatrician who is qualified by
additional training and experience in the diagnosis and treatment of
arthritis and
other diseases of the joints, muscles and bones. Many rheumatologists
conduct research to determine the cause and better treatments for these
disabling
and sometimes fatal diseases.

What Kind of Training Do Rheumatologists Have?

After four years of medical school and three years of training in either
internal medicine or pediatrics, rheumatologists devote an additional two to
three
years in specialized rheumatology training. Most rheumatologists who plan to
treat patients choose to become board certified. Upon completion of their
training, they must pass a rigorous exam conducted by the American Board of
Internal Medicine to become certified.

What Do Rheumatologists Treat?

Rheumatologists treat arthritis, certain autoimmune diseases,
musculoskeletal pain disorders and osteoporosis. There are more than 100
types of these diseases,
including rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gout, lupus, back pain,
osteoporosis, fibromyalgia and tendonitis. Some of these are very serious
diseases
that can be difficult to diagnose and treat.

When Should You See a Rheumatologist?

If musculoskeletal pains are not severe or disabling and last just a few
days, it makes sense to give the problem a reasonable chance to be resolved.
But
sometimes, pain in the joints, muscles or bones is severe or persists for
more than a few days. At that point, you should see your physician.

Many types of rheumatic diseases are not easily identified in the early
stages. Rheumatologists are specially trained to do the detective work
necessary
to discover the cause of swelling and pain. It's important to determine a
correct diagnosis early so that appropriate treatment can begin early. Some
musculoskeletal
disorders respond best to treatment in the early stages of the disease.

Because some rheumatic diseases are complex, one visit to a rheumatologist
may not be enough to determine a diagnosis and course of treatment. These
diseases
often change or evolve over time. Rheumatologists work closely with patients
to identify the problem and design an individualized treatment program.

How Does the Rheumatologist Work with Other Health Care Professionals?

The role the rheumatologist plays in health care depends on several factors
and needs. Typically the rheumatologist works with other physicians,
sometimes
acting as a consultant to advise another physician about a specific
diagnosis and treatment plan. In other situations, the rheumatologist acts
as a a manager,
relying upon the help of many skilled professionals including nurses,
physical and occupational therapists, psychologists and social workers. Team
work
is important, since musculoskeletal disorders are chronic. Health care
professionals can help people with musculoskeletal diseases and their
families cope
with the changes the diseases cause in their lives.

--
Yanosz

.