Re: Easiest way of counting characters?

I got distracted by Apple's OS X for a while til I got tired of
trying to get what I want. Apple users are subservient by nature -
they like "the company" to think for them. It was such a refreshing
change to come back to the freedom and choice of Windows...

I have never bothered to try a Mac, but it had nothing to do with the way some claimed it was so much easier.

That's another way of saying it has less choices. Amazingly, this marketing angle actually is successful.

To me I was able to count the Dollars they wanted for one compared to the dollars they wanted to buy a PC, and that made the choice for me.

And now that Apple is using Intel parts and there is nothing "Mac" about the machine expect that it uses EFI instead of Bios (and even that is changing as Intel motherboards are moving towards doing away with the bios entirely), people can now compare the machines without the Apple smokescreen. Its not only that an Apple machine is way more than the typical PC, there is the glaring issue of not being able to buy the parts you want for your particular use. Compare Newegg's prices with Apple's on some of Apple's computer upgrades and you often find Apple is 100% more. The only people that fall into this trap are newbies and people that can't be bothered to spend 10 minutes to save $1000.

Learning the first PC was a challenge, (Win. Millennium) but after that XP, Vista, and now Win.7 all seemed pretty easy to learn, at least enough to do what I want to do.

Here's the irony: Any program is complex if its good and it takes time to learn. The same goes with Mac programs. Everything takes time to learn. So many times I tried Mac programs and they were not intuitive at all. So there is no advantage. And no, Apple programs don't "Just Work". They work most of the time just like PC programs work most of the time. I had many hardware freezeups on 4 Macs I used over several years just like Windows machines freeze up occasionally. Nothing "Just Works".

Last I read Mac had like 4% of the market? I would have to guess this has a lot more to do with price than how hard a PC is to use compared to how easy a Mac is to use.

Probably a lot to do with style. People are really attracted to the all in one iMac design not realizing that the real work is learning how to use it properly. A year later you talk to them about their computer experience and realize they have learned almost nothing, their machine is used for the most simplistic, mundane tasks that could have been performed on a 5 year old PC for 10% of the cost. Then, when it breaks, the cost of a motherboard or monitor for the iMac is almost always more than the cost of a new machine. Then Apple gets another sale!!! Pretty slick marketing. But horrible for the consumer.

  • Re: Mac Mini Review (NOT GOOD)
    ... What Apple really needs is a classical "Killer" App/Capability to push ... cores into play worthy of Apple's consideration for a mini refresh. ... with passive cooling - something that gels with Jobs austere design ... 4" wafers out of a project, which would be a nice cost avoidance if we ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Mac Mini Review (NOT GOOD)
    ... Granted, most users probably won't, but Apple usually does.... ... I believe this should have been implicit when I stated Llano's lower cost, ... bandwidth on the same cable segment of their Cableco/ISP. ... I'm referring to a>base bandwidth tier< of a cable modem service. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: iPod refuses to be "killed"
    ... IBM did come up with a good design for the PPC, but again, did not ... Compare their profitability over the last five ... Oops Apple doesn't have server ...
    (rec.sport.golf)
  • Re: iPod refuses to be "killed"
    ... Compare their profitability over the last five ... Oops Apple doesn't have server ... think so highly of it) and open it ion my Mac. ...
    (rec.sport.golf)
  • Re: iPod refuses to be "killed"
    ... Apple keeping a closed architecture sealed their fate for 20 years as a marginal product. ... Compare their profitability over the last five years with that of IBM or Dell. ... Compare IBM's server class systems to Apple's server class systems. ... Let's compare them to IBM's server class systems in profitability and number of units sold. ...
    (rec.sport.golf)