Kris Baker wrote:
<jaman@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:f582d866-d802-4adb-9271-cf514fef78f6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On May 25, 1:27 pm, "Kris Baker" <parallelcoo...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<ja...@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message

news:cd752c04-5b0e-47d5-a879-6ddbb4ecbe03@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On May 25, 12:55 pm, "Kris Baker" <parallelcoo...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOS...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > yes, they will cancel his auction (takes 1 to 4 days, so if you
do > > it
> > late
> > in an auction, it may not happen in time).

> > Click on the "Report this item" link at the bottom of HIS
auction > > (such
> > link appears at the bottom of every auction). You will need the
item
> > number of your auction that he copied the text (or photos) from. > > They
> > will act on this if the theft is substantive.

> They didn't copy an auction listing; he says they copied info
> from his website.

> The problem is the OP will have to prove that he originated
> the product descriptions -- and if they exist on anyone else's
> website, that's not going to help his case.

> The OP is giving us any info on his website, so there's very
> little he can do except register for VERO and then contact
> eBay with the full information.

> Kris

Much thank for all the info from everybody ... in this case he sells
the same products and has stolen descriptions on EACH ONE, so a little
bit much to take. I sent him an email, but no response so I might be
best to file a VERO for each one and let eBay deal; with this.

------------------

Wait a minute. He's stealing your products and selling them?

Or....are you both selling products from the same manufacturer?

Kris
Smelling dropshitting

No, they are generic products and he just copied my product line and
some product descriptions from my site and opened an eBay store. I am
not even sure if a VERO is worth the trouble, he just changes a few
words and he is still in business.

Might be best to let it go ...

Probably so, since you're not really the rights owner.

If he's even changed a few words, it's not the same thing.

Unless you have some special way of describing these
generic items, there's not really a lot someone can do
to differentiate themselves.

If you had already listed them on eBay before he
copied you, you could complain to them -- but they're
not going to protect the rights of outside
website owners.

Kris

If the eBay listing copies copyrighted material, including photographs, from another website without permission, they can and often do honor a VeRO complaint. The "Shabby Chic" lady comes to mind. But the person filing the complaint must be the rights owner.
--
Joanne

Better explanation.

....and the eBay seller could also complain to the rights holder,
that a certain website owner has "stolen" the rights holder's
images and advertising?

Kris

A third party rights owner? If the eBay seller was using the material with permission of the rights owner, he could make a report to the owner about another party publishing the material on a web site. Then it would be up to the rights owner whether or not to pursue it, probably by contacting the host asking that the material be removed. If there is financial loss due to violation of the copyright, it could end up in court.
--
Joanne

Yup.

Since the items are being described as "generic", it sounds
like something lots of people are selling - and possibly from
multiple sources. Even dropshipping. Retailers are urged
by manufacturers (who'd be the rights holder) to use the
available marketing materials.

Now, if the OP has inserted something special and identifiable,
he'd own that part of the description....but he'd have to prove
that no one else had ever described the items like that, before him.

Kris

  • Re: Stealing Product Descriptions
    ... >> in an auction, it may not happen in time). ... > website, that's not going to help his case. ... best to file a VERO for each one and let eBay deal; ... But the person filing the complaint must be the rights owner. ...
    (alt.marketing.online.ebay)
  • Re: Stealing Product Descriptions
    ... website, that's not going to help his case. ... best to file a VERO for each one and let eBay deal; ... since you're not really the rights owner. ... available marketing materials. ...
    (alt.marketing.online.ebay)
  • Re: Stealing Product Descriptions
    ... website, that's not going to help his case. ... best to file a VERO for each one and let eBay deal; ... since you're not really the rights owner. ... available marketing materials. ...
    (alt.marketing.online.ebay)
  • Re: Stealing Product Descriptions
    ... >> in an auction, it may not happen in time). ... > website, that's not going to help his case. ... best to file a VERO for each one and let eBay deal; ... since you're not really the rights owner. ...
    (alt.marketing.online.ebay)
  • Re: Stealing Product Descriptions
    ... link appears at the bottom of every auction). ... website, that's not going to help his case. ... filing the complaint must be the rights owner. ... available marketing materials. ...
    (alt.marketing.online.ebay)