Re: Small holes 10x dia with very low runout
- From: "Robin S." <robinstoddart@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 07:15:24 -0700 (PDT)
Boring: I don't have experience using carbide boring bars for 10X dia.
We have one running 7X and it works well enough (until it randomly
comes out of the hole in two pieces). I'd have to bore in the pull
direction so chips don't get under the bar. Could be dicy, but we'd be
willing to try.
Warmup: We do run a warmup cycle. Machine still wanders in the first
60min of run. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.
Carbide drill: I suppose I didn't try any higher feed than 0.001". I
suppose I should have. Did not break any drills. They only wore out.
Floating holder: We want to make not an adjustable holder (screw
machine style) but one that actually moves all the time. The idea
being to let a non-skilled worker run the machine. Offsets with single
pointed tools are ok as you can measure the part and make an
adjustment. If the operator has to indicate the drill, we're quite
weary of the level of skill required. We want to run unattended
eventually so this would be impossible.
Drill locaiton never varies by more than 0.002", even from cold.
Peck: I will eventually get to that point. I'll have to determine if
chip evacuation is adequate to remove the necessity for pecks. Tool
rep specified no pecks for these OSG drills.
Thanks for the ideas, guys.
- Prev by Date: Re: Small holes 10x dia with very low runout
- Next by Date: Re: Small holes 10x dia with very low runout
- Previous by thread: Re: Small holes 10x dia with very low runout
- Next by thread: Re: Small holes 10x dia with very low runout