Re: Can I buy an answer?

Matt Stawicki wrote:
On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 16:09:15 -0800, BottleBob <bottlbob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Matt:

If you've got a pedestal grinder, disk sander, belt sander, or surface grinder, you've ALREADY GOT a drill sharpener, eh?

Technology just spoils us soooo much. I don't even know if I could remember how to use a Volstro head. <g>

Yeah....I have all of the above, except a surface grinder:-( I used
to sharpen drills by hand. Rarely went to the drawer for a new one,
but I've gotten lazy:-)

Matt:

Haven't we all.

These drills are split points. Can't do that by hand, and
unfortunately my gang lathe doesn't have the power to push a hand
sharpened drill that big. Even with the free cutting split points, it
will stall with a feed over .003" ipr. (316L mold inserts).

I've done spit points by hand (we've got a Darex that can do web thinning now), so I don't do it much anymore.
Here's a site that shows how to do web thinning by hand.

http://its.fvtc.edu/machshop1/Bench/Webthinning.htm

Since you've got a whole drawer full of dull drills, practice on a couple. Ya never know when that skill might come in handy - like on a Sunday afternoon and you've just fried your last split-point and the parts have to ship early Monday morning. You know the drill - excuse the pun. LOL

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

  • Re: Anyone sharpen drill bits?
    ... I worked in the tool crib for 25+ years and we tried various and expensive machines to sharpen bits and we always went back to doing it by hand. ... I could sharpen bits that would drill to within .005 of the drill diameter. ... Now I all my bits are dull, but I did get those bolts out. ... Have not even considered it - but it you have a sharpener, ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Drill Bits
    ... drill bits for thin metals and wood rather than masonry. ... I'll take a look at that sharpener. ... As I said, you can get lots and lots at yard sales for pennies, literally. ... Watch the video and keep the instructions. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Can I buy an answer?
    ... If you've got a pedestal grinder, disk sander, belt sander, or surface ... grinder, you've ALREADY GOT a drill sharpener, eh? ...
    (alt.machines.cnc)
  • Re: Technical aspects of drill bit sharpening
    ... materials and found that one type of bit worked best. ... is how they designed the angle on the tip. ... question is, does anybody know of a sharpener that isn't a fortune, ... learning how to sharpen your drill bits by hand is worth the time and effort. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Can I buy an answer?
    ... Got a drawer full of worn out stub length 27/64 Nachi Cobalt's. ... If you've got a pedestal grinder, disk sander, belt sander, or surface grinder, you've ALREADY GOT a drill sharpener, eh? ...
    (alt.machines.cnc)