Re: Tories have lost the ethical advantage
- From: "SaPeIsMa" <SaPeIsMa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 06:38:20 GMT
the Law", by David Burnham, ISBN 0-684-80699-1, 1996
* A few months after his appointment as the new director of the Federal
* Bureau of Investigation, Louis J. Freeh delivered a speech at the National
* Press Club in Washington.
* More than two hundred Washington-based reporters, congressional staffers
* and interested lobbyists had come, and because the speech was carried by
* C-Span, National Public Radio and the Global Internet Computer Network,
* and would be the basis for articles in newspapers all over the United
* States, Freeh was also delivering his message to a much larger national
* and international audience.
* "The people of this country are fed up with crime," Freeh declared. "The
* media report it, the statistics support it, the polls prove it."
* To drive home his point and authenticate the national menace, Freeh said,
* "the rate of violent crime has increased 371 percent since 1960 --- that's
* nine times faster than our population has grown. In the past 30 years,
* homicides have nearly tripled; robberies and rapes each are up over 500
* percent; aggravated assaults have increased more than 600 percent."
* Crime is a white-hot public issue that has been shamelessly exploited by
* cynical leaders for their own political and administrative advantage. Here
* is how these callous manipulators have used the gut-level fears of the
* American people for their own purposes. The rhetoric of crime in the
* United States is in many ways more important than crime itself. [Most
* of this STUNNING chapter not shown: buy the book!]
* Hard, consistent and detailed knowledge about crime has been gathered
* by the Census Bureau for the Bureau of Justice Statistics, part of the
* Justice Department. Under this program, twice a year, 50,000 Americans
* are asked dozens of detailed and probing questions about their experience
* with crime.
* This procedure
- Prev by Date: Almost no policemans will be uncertain zany reviews.
- Next by Date: Re: Tool Holder Help, Please!
- Previous by thread: Almost no policemans will be uncertain zany reviews.
- Next by thread: Re: AMERICANS KILLED BY CORRUPT HEALTH CARE SYSTEM