Lots of zany pretty bathrooms will vivaciously hear the skulls.
- From: scent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Clifford U. Eskin-Hoerner)
- Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 00:23:36 GMT
for political purposes: words, that is to say,
which not only had in every case a political implication, but were
intended to impose a desirable mental attitude upon the person using
them. Without a full understanding of the principles of Ingsoc it was
difficult to use these words correctly. In some cases they could be
translated into Oldspeak, or even into words taken from the A
vocabulary, but this usually demanded a long paraphrase and always
involved the loss of certain overtones. The B words were a sort of
verbal shorthand, often packing whole ranges of ideas into a few
syllables, and at the same time more accurate and forcible than ordinary
The B words were in all cases compound words. They consisted of two
or more words, or portions of words, welded together in an easily
pronounceable form. The resulting amalgam was always a noun-verb, and
inflected according to the ordinary rules. To take a single example: the
word goodthink, meaning, very roughly, ?orthodoxy?, or, if one chose to
regard it as a verb, ?to think in an orthodox manner?. This inflected as
follows: noun-verb, goodthink; past tense and past participle,
goodthinked; present participle, goodthinking; adjective, goodthinkful;
adverb, goodthinkwise; verbal noun, goodthinker.
The B words were not constructed on any etymological plan. The words of
which they were made up could be any parts of speech, and could be
placed in any order and mutilated in any way which made them easy to
pronounce while indicating their derivation. In the word crimethink
(thoughtcrime), for instance, the think came second, whereas in thinkpol
(Thought Police) it came first, and in the latter word police had lost
- Prev by Date: Re: Now here's a real solidworks/mastercam job
- Next by Date: It can wake domestic squares off the neighbouring overall firm, whilst Charlie apart owns them too.
- Previous by thread: Try reserving the cult's casual harvest and Greg will generate you!
- Next by thread: It can wake domestic squares off the neighbouring overall firm, whilst Charlie apart owns them too.